PDA

View Full Version : How much do you feed your trigger fish?

Ryanst
05-22-2011, 05:14 AM
I was just wondering how much people feed there big trigger fish. I have an 8 inch long crosshatch trigger and I feed him 2 small silversides a day plus whatever smaller food he gets while I feed the other fish. I don't spot feed my 4 inch crosshatch becuase she is way better at getting food then the big guy I actually try and put food far away from her so the other fish get some. Lol so let's hear how much You feed your big triggers.

DAVE
05-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Here is what I feed my 8" Clown Trigger.

Every 2-3 days - Little neck Clam or shrimp or mixed seafood (fresh or frozen never cooked) - HE LOVES THE CLAMS
Every Day - He gets the Jumbo NLS pellets (maybe 10-15 of these), Omega Flakes and some Spirunlina (not sure why he likes this, but he does)

He also gets some mysis when I feed the others in the tank.

daniella3d
05-23-2011, 04:45 AM
I have a niger trigger and he's always hungry but very very shy. I only have small fishes in the aquarium as well as a copperband so no aggression but he's still very shy. I have the feeling he would eat more if he was no so shy. I feed him twice per day with pieces of shrimp, mysis or live white worms. I also give them a fresh mussel a few times per week and that is an absolute delight for the trigger. He really loves that.

When I skip the morning feeding he's out in the evening and much more bold for the food but as soon as he's full he dash into the liverock. When I put a mussel I don't even see him that day. He's got a cave in the liverock which he does not come out of except for eating. I was hoping that he would get more bold with age but he's now about 6" and still hide all the time even if I have that fish for about 6 months now. Oh well...

MMAX
05-23-2011, 12:04 PM
I just picked up a male blue throat a couple of weeks ago. He's not big yet (maybe 3-4") but he's a real pig. I first started him feeding on marine flakes with garlic and frozen brine shrimp which I had been feeding his tank mates prior to his arrival. More recently I tried raw frozen shrimp and last night raw frozen scallop. It's hard for everyone else in the tank to get any food because he eats everything in sight. He'll also eat nori sheets that I put in for my foxface.

dunl
05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
My niger likes the frozen cocktail shrimp. I always feed them in pieces, with the shell on, never off. Keeps his teeth in shape, and he picks the shells clean.