PDA

View Full Version : LFS visits

Bob I
01-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Well I sort of made the rounds today. Went to Big Al's and the same as always it was not worth the trip. Then off to Wai's where little has changed. If I made any remark I would be repeating myself. I did pick up a Yellow Goby for my 20H. Then off to Ocean's. That was more interesting. I picked up a Yellow Shrimp, which nobody had seen to date. I met Stretch there, and had a good conversation. I also met Aussyfishy, and anjoyed a chat. I saw a couple of Ritteri, and a LTA that had been there for more than a month, and appeared to be doing very well. The LTA had an Anemone Shrimp living in it. BTW I posted a picture of the shrimp in the "Reef" section. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Quinn
01-18-2004, 12:28 AM
A bit of rhetoric - we spend a lot of time stating how many problems the local stores have, and how much we dislike them, and yet we still shop there. Shouldn't we be talking with our wallets, or does it make more sense to attempt to influence policy and practice through friendly and supportive gestures?

Bob I
01-18-2004, 12:47 AM
A bit of rhetoric - we spend a lot of time stating how many problems the local stores have, and how much we dislike them, and yet we still shop there. Shouldn't we be talking with our wallets, or does it make more sense to attempt to influence policy and practice through friendly and supportive gestures?

A point well taken, and discarded by me. It is a question of supply and demand. I wanted a Yellow Goby. Mr. Wai is the only one who carries them. Ergo that is where I bought it. I may have even saved a life. It won't starve to death in my tank unless it decides to do so on its own. My personal feeling for the guy has not changed. I have no problem at all with the other shop where I purchased a couple of critters. :razz: :eek:

aussiefishy
01-19-2004, 12:38 AM
i think it is pretty sad to dislike/hate LFS when you are an active reef/marine livestock keeper.. people just got misleaded and think LFS are "EVIL" i agree there are some bad operation of business which lacks ethic, but not every store/employee is like that. :eek:

what i want to say is, there are always 2 ways to look at things, optimistic and pessimistic. i can't blame people whom got burnt once or twice never be able to accept new workers in LFS, but i would like to tell you all if you all give a chance for new things, chances are you will be a much more happy reefer! they are the ones that support you too! me being a new generation of employee in this industry will try every effort to upgrade myself, but i hate people who "thinks" that all workers in LFS are stupid and know nothing... i accept knowledge challenges everyday i worked and i have never found anyone read aquarium literature as much as i do. i cannot say i am the best, but i am not stupid and WILL NOT give stupid or bias advice. i give people opinions so that customers really understand what i am talking about. i always have customers hang out in our store and talk/discuss, they need not to buy stuff, but it is like a place to gather and share.

people often having a hard time accepting the fact that there are someone in the LFS knows more than them, truth might be blunt, but they are the truth.

please when telling OPINIONATED (Holding stubbornly and often unreasonably to one's own opinions.) views about others or on any subjects, please state that it is your opinion, it is not the truth that all reefers dislike LFS. who is we? all calgarians? just you and your siblings and closed firends?? " :lol: :rolleyes: we" can be very very broad and you are attempting to mislead others by painting a picture to let everybody feels that no one in calgary supports LFS and it is worthless.

and i spell everthing right. i am not an ILLITERATE (Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: ) by oxford dictionary :exclaim:

Bob I
01-19-2004, 12:54 AM
and i spell everthing right. i am not an ILLITERATE (Ignorant of the fundamentals of a given art or branch of knowledge: ) by oxford dictionary :exclaim:

UHH no my friend you do NOT spell everything right. :eek: , and don't be too paranoid. I am sure nobody hates you. I enjoyed talking to you guys. Make sure you do what your sidekick (I missed his name, because I was not introduced) said. Set up that table and chairs, and I am sure we will drop in for a chat. :biggrin: :rolleyes:

Namscam
01-19-2004, 01:04 AM
UHH no my friend you do NOT spell everything right. :eek:

Oh Bob, Oh Bob. You can spell but your grammer is not that great. :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-19-2004, 01:26 AM
Sometimes I spell things left instead of right.

Namscam
01-19-2004, 01:27 AM
such as boB???

Bob I
01-19-2004, 02:03 AM

Mmmm, I don't know about that. I am sure it is not perfect, but then whose is on this board eh :question: :razz:

StirCrazy
01-19-2004, 02:12 AM

Mmmm, I don't know about that. I am sure it is not perfect, but then whose is on this board eh :question: :razz:

me me me me me :mrgreen:

Steve

Bob I
01-19-2004, 02:17 AM
Sometimes I spell things left instead of right.

I guess I won't say anything about your spelling of acquired then, as it is probably spelt left. :biggrin: :razz:

Delphinus
01-19-2004, 05:20 AM
Dear oh dear did I spell acquire wrong somewhere? I guess I "left" out a letter or something? Whoops-a-doodle.

aussiefishy
01-19-2004, 08:22 AM
it is really happy to see bob in the shop, and keeps a open mind of things... not alot of people can do this these days... thanks BOB. (it spell right no matter what direction.) :redface: "did i really spell anything wrong?" :smile:

Bob I
01-19-2004, 03:17 PM
it is really happy to see bob in the shop, and keeps a open mind of things... not alot of people can do this these days... thanks BOB. (it spell right no matter what direction.) :redface: "did i really spell anything wrong?" :smile:

I take it back, there is nothing really misspelled. Therte is something wrong with your sentences. There are words missing etc. I don't quite know why. :redface:

Quinn
01-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Syntactical issues mostly. And addressing oneself in the third person and as genderless ("it is really happy") is not common in English. But we get the point. :lol:

Bob I
01-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Syntactical issues mostly. And addressing oneself in the third person and as genderless ("it is really happy") is not common in English. But we get the point. :lol:

It is really happy sounds like Gollum. We get the point, but it is funny that the person doing the writing does not talk like that. :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Therte is something wrong with your sentences.

Buccaneer
01-19-2004, 06:21 PM
Therte is something wrong with your sentences.

:razz: :mrgreen:

aussiefishy
01-24-2004, 09:42 AM
yeah... i have a master thesis to write so i have to polish my skills... luckily i have a gf which write better than i do... :razz:

Bob I
01-24-2004, 05:49 PM
yeah... I have a master's thesis to write so I have to polish my skills... luckily I have a gf who writes better than I do... :razz:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: corrected

Delphinus
01-24-2004, 05:51 PM
Masters thesis, eh? Whatcha studying?

Quinn
01-24-2004, 10:00 PM
Did you have to write a GRE for your program? :neutral:

AJ_77
01-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Speaking of Ocean, was there today looking at a few baby Synchiropus splendidus that were <2" long. Twenty bucks each. Cute little buggers, active and full-bodied... If an adult can survive in a 120 or better, how about a baby? (Just throwing that out there...)
:biggrin:
They still have a Heteractis magnifica stuck to the side of the "anemone" tank, but it seems to be languishing since I last looked in on it a couple of weeks ago. If anyone wants to save it, now's the time... :wink:

Stretch
01-25-2004, 11:01 PM
They still have those little guys? I bought the biggest one he had last weekend. Really nice colors, too bad she doesn't come out into the open :rolleyes:

aussiefishy
01-26-2004, 02:07 AM
Thank you for correctingmy post BOB! :razz:

Today i met AJ, and his sons, and yeah, hi!

Now the anemone... it is still eating and we try to give it good light and water quality, maybe some suggestion to better keep them in a shop setting? anyone?

I am a economics major and now thinking of a master's thesis for my MA.
any suggestion for that as well?

Just wanna thank you for members whom have met me in the shop, your opinion and views are everything to us!

please check the vendor post often for arrival notice. :razz:

AJ_77
01-26-2004, 02:43 AM
Good to meet you too.
Now the anemone... it is still eating and we try to give it good light and water quality, maybe some suggestion to better keep them in a shop setting? anyone?
Get that Magnificent/Ritteri into the big softie tank on the right, with the MH fixtures over it. The current and light there is MUCH closer to what these very demanding anemones need - MH and vigorous flow. (This is what I've read, and been told by some expert aquarists who have managed to keep them successfully.) It will likely take on some of the brilliance they are known for, and be a much easier sale. :wink:

Keep feeding it - good job. I hear they really like mysis shrimp by the chunk...

Canadian Man
01-26-2004, 02:57 AM
Thank you for correctingmy post BOB! :razz:

I am a economics major and now thinking of a master's thesis for my MA.
any suggestion for that as well?

Just wanna thank you for members whom have met me in the shop, your opinion and views are everything to us!

please check the vendor post often for arrival notice. :razz:

Which store are you at?

Quinn
01-26-2004, 03:13 AM
Ocean's I believe.

AJ_77
01-26-2004, 03:14 AM
Speaking of Ocean...
Ocean Aquarium, Center St north at about 24th ave. In a little strip mall.
Bit of a hike for you, Jonny.

Quinn
01-26-2004, 04:00 AM
No doubt. While you're up in the north you could stop by my place for that acro frag. :rolleyes: :razz:

aussiefishy
01-26-2004, 04:55 AM
yeah, it would be a great idea if we can put it into the softie tank with MH and flow, but once it attach to a rock or hide behind all the rock work, it would be a impossible sale... maybe i have to build it a little corner, with eggcrate?? not sure... any idea? maybe put a strong powerhead in the existing tank?

another problem i "foresee" is that since the shop only have MH in 2 of the tanks, and i think i cannot stock 2 anemone together, they touch and might get damage... space is of concern...

i guess in a shop setting, sacrifice must be made, until there exist a balance between cost and benefit... any opinions on improving the state of the anemone habitant yet not costing the shop an arm and a leg?

:rolleyes: :razz:

Quinn
01-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Split a tank with eggcrate, slap 250w halides over it (available pretty cheap, look into Sun Aquatics stuff), put each of your anemones in a separate compartment. I don't feel there is any excuse for not providing an acceptable level of care. Theoretically you could save money if less of your anemones die before they are sold.

Canadian Man
01-26-2004, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys! Never been inside but been buy many times.

AJ_77
01-26-2004, 10:19 PM
Oh, and - they had a small Purple Tang with HLLE, on special for $50.

Nice fish, but needs care... Mom Tang kind of care.

aussiefishy
01-27-2004, 05:52 AM
well, teevee, if it is this cheap, can you get a store going and see what happens?

i will see what i can do... as for your idea :rolleyes:
i already put a powerhead into the anemone tank... as i said, budget is really tight and i must find a balance between cost and benefits.

Delphinus
01-27-2004, 06:04 AM
Aussiefishy, I'd love to come into your store and take a look at your ritteri. I've kept one for three years now. Definitely my favourite species.

It is unfortunate they get so large. I have more than I can handle with the one I have right now.

The "rules" with this species is, as much light as possible, as much current as possible, and plenty of food. I agree with the already-suggested mysis. Other things, small chopped up pieces of shrimp, maybe some fish (silversides? not too much though), basically seafood.

Now. If yours is eating (and keeping down the food it is offered), this is a good sign. He is sitting on the glass though, because he is looking for a spot with more current and/or more light. Instinctly, they move upwards if they are not getting enough of what they're looking for. In the wild, you will find these anemones at the very top of the reef.

The best way to keep them from wandering is to make a pillar (or "bommie") of rocks and have the anemone sit on top. This will mimic it's natural environment. For current, maybe aim two powerheads at each other, have the point where the currents converge/meet just slightly adjacent to the anemone. This will create some great laminar flow. You want the point of convergence to be slightly adjacent because we don't want to aim the powerheads right at the anemone (powerhead output is an unnatural flow type). If possible, have a source of light directly above. Halides are best.

I know it would be annoying to have it attach to a rock, but, ... well two things. One, it will look better. Someone will likely buy it more easily. You can either sell the rock with it (this is what I'd do, actually). Or, if you use a smooth surfaced rock, you might be able to tease the anemone off. This has both advantages and disadvantages. A smooth surfaced rock is what he'd likely be attached to in the wild. A smooth surface will be easier to coax him off. But, coaxing an anemone off a rock is never fun, and if rushed, can lead to injury of the foot. So, it's a judgment call I suppose. I know if it was me, I'd just try to sell it with the rock.

Take this all as free advice. I don't know the first thing about running a store, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it myself. I do know, however, a small bit about anemones and I'm happy to offer to any advice to anyone who wants to listen to me. :lol:

Quinn
01-27-2004, 06:05 AM
I thought you were an economics major. I gave you a suggestion to save you money in the long run, do a cost-benefit analysis. You don't need to do exactly what I said. If you look around you will find that metal halide setups aren't that expensive if you put them together yourself.

aussiefishy
01-27-2004, 08:11 AM
oh now i am getting comment on my specialty of studies....

thank you for your advise on the anemone... as we look at the sales we are selling these anemone within a timeframe of between 7-21 days... and the shop currently are not planning on getting another HQI setup... we do not use MH. the way i think about this issue is how much anemone can i sell to cover the expense on them... this is the store's cost-benefit analysis. i am not sure if i am correct but i think it is a sensible way of how a petstore is to be operated.

i do not want to start an argument on store ethics but i don't think our store's setup is abusing the anemone, at least we are not trying to abuse it and provide the worse possible habitat for them. tony's opinion is well accounted for and i am happy to try-out the powerheads. see how it goes.

we have 2 ritteri's, one is sold... today and the other is still healthy.
if you want to talk about how fish store are handling their livestock, i am confident to say we are not the worst but the point is we are not trying to be one. that is why i am taking my own time to come and talk about this. i am not paid for the time i spend in this forum and i do not get any benefits from se4lling anything in the shop rather than my hourly pay.

please remember one thing, i don't owned the shop, and by all means i am a hobbiest. but i have a fair view on things. :redface:

thank you
:smile:

aussiefishy
01-27-2004, 08:16 AM
and if possible, may i meet tony in the shop on sunday from 1230-1730?

sbrown
02-01-2004, 04:01 AM
Pet stores are not designed to hold creatures for a long period of time and to pick on one because of something you have noticed is unfair. I could find something that isnt recommended in just about every LFS I go into. Take it one step further and take a look at the dogs and cats next time your in a pet store, I have never read any piece of literature that recommends keeping cats and dogs in 3x3 square cages, but it goes on every day.

Back to fish, they are pulled from thier natural habitat, put in a holding container for days (weeks), put in a plastic bag, shipped around the globe, put in a tank at a pet store and finally put in the aquarists aquarium. I see one cruel thing in this chain (can you pick it out). Unless your tank is fully captive bred you shouldnt be throwing any stones.

AJ_77
02-01-2004, 04:08 AM
Pet stores are not designed to hold creatures for a long period of time and to pick on one because of something you have noticed is unfair. I could find something that isnt recommended in just about every LFS I go into. Take it one step further and take a look at the dogs and cats next time your in a pet store, I have never read any piece of literature that recommends keeping cats and dogs in 3x3 square cages, but it goes on every day.

Back to fish, they are pulled from thier natural habitat, put in a holding container for days (weeks), put in a plastic bag, shipped around the globe, put in a tank at a pet store and finally put in the aquarists aquarium. I see one cruel thing in this chain (can you pick it out). Unless your tank is fully captive bred you shouldnt be throwing any stones.
dude - chill...

we're chatting with an employee - he's OK.

aussiefishy
02-01-2004, 05:59 AM
i guess, he/she is just giving an environmentalist stand point... and may i point out that captive bred alternative came from alot of animal testing and the subject is first "pulled out" from their natural habitat... so it is a ethical question really.. and the answer might just be " to provide the habitat for the organisms that you wish to keep, and do this with your pocket book in mind"

as with me, i know people give different standpoint in this issues, but the anemone was sold the day after i talked to AJ... so it proof my point once again.. i might have to design a place for the anemone to remain healthy for 14-21 days... and not order more than the store could accomodate...

just to share it with fellow reefers! i am gradually turning my reef tank into a FOWLR... maybe with 10-20 pieces of corals that no fish will consume.... haha! just bought a emperor juv. very cute!!

cheers!

please check the vendor announcement board often for rare and weekly shipment notice.

StirCrazy
02-01-2004, 12:00 PM
just to share it with fellow reefers! i am gradually turning my reef tank into a FOWLR... maybe with 10-20 pieces of corals that no fish will consume.... haha! just bought a emperor juv. very cute!!

cheers!

um once you put the coral in, isn't it now a reef tank instead of a FOWLR?

Steve

aussiefishy
02-02-2004, 12:31 AM
oh... i am so sorry.
chill out man it is just a name... not life or death... :) :lol:

it should mean i am focusing more on my fish now... :) one of the good things to work in a store is you can change your setup frequently and experiment with different things....

and i should spell sohal tang... instead of shoal... is that correct?

Buccaneer
02-02-2004, 02:39 AM
and i should spell sohal tang... instead of shoal... is that correct?

:razz: < sorry Brad ... could not help it > :mrgreen:

EmilyB
02-02-2004, 05:22 AM
You know Aussiefishy, I bought a few things at Ocean.

Now, I just kinda go....eeeewww...sorry nothing personal...

maybe it was the dyed toadstools, (I bought one, and you will we glad to know I saved it - I probably should have let it die there I guess)....

or you with the vlamingi and the moorish idol, and the tales of anemones past.....

Whatever, I just kinda cringe every time you post. I'm ordering from J&L.

I hope you can do better with the locals looking for deals.... :rolleyes:

P.S. I think you should have stayed off here personally, but that's probably just me...... :rolleyes: :razz:

reefhawk
02-16-2004, 11:54 PM
you peeples in Calgary have no idea how lucky yall are. Out here in sleepy little kelowna we have to go to calgary or vancouver to even have a chance at getting anything decent. Thank yer lucky stars you have choices out there. As for wai's is that the place across from peters burgers ?( another reason calgary is cool), he was very helpful for me when i was first starting out and had to drive to calgary just to get rock and sand. He wouldn't even sell me stuff till my tank was cycled.

P.S. i thinks al youse guys r great spelers two. Oh ya thats just my take on it.