PDA

View Full Version : Is this aptasia?

vince0
05-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Hi folks,

I noticed a few of these anemones popping up and I'm wondering if they are aptasia. I've read about the lemon treatment or the boiling RO treatment and I'm willing to try it out once these things are positively identified. I've also read that peppermint shrimp will eat these anemone's but I'm curious as to what else a pepperming shrimp will eat, in case there aren't too me for it/them to eat.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks

Vince

Funky_Fish14
05-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Those are certainly aiptasia. You can try either of the 'treatments', injected into the aiptasia with a syringe.

Peppermint shrimp USUALLY do not eat anything else, but have be known to on rare occasions nibble on things like zoos, star polyps, etc..., but some debate exists as to whether they were actually nibbling the corals or something else on them. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Chris

fishytime
05-21-2011, 04:32 AM
yup, thats what you got:neutral:.....peps will eat it depending on where the peps were collected......and depending on how big the nem is......they will also scavenge whatever you feed your fish.....they also perform cleaning duties....... there is the odd story of them eating zoa/palys and some "injured" corals......I dont think any Ive ever had, have ever eatin any corals...

vince0
05-21-2011, 04:41 AM
Thanks, i'm gonna try to get my hands on both a syringe (any type better than others?) and some peppermint shrimps then.

Funky_Fish14
05-21-2011, 05:04 AM
I suggest going to your local pharmacy and asking for few syringes and an actual tip. They may just give it to you, but if not bring a pic and explain what your up to and you should be able to get some syringe tips.

Cheers,

Chris

cordeiro
05-21-2011, 06:55 AM
I told them what I was going to use it for and he just gave me one for free.. I use the lemon when ever I find one.. But only do a few at a time, I was told that using to much may hurt the tank..

fishytime
05-21-2011, 02:26 PM
the only problem with trying to inject the nems with anything is actually piercing the nem with the needle.....can prove to be easier said then done.....Ive had good luck with TA aiptasia destroyer....you dont need to stick the little buggers with a needle, you actually feed it to them....

Oh and just an FYI.....Red Coral has proven aiptasia eating peppermint shrimp atm.....I will feed them one in front of you if you like:biggrin: