PDA

View Full Version : ID anemone please

martym
01-17-2004, 10:56 PM
I was sold this anemone as a Long Tenticle Anemone. I don't think it is. Can anyone tell from this picture?
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/717anemone.jpg?3275

It is white with purple tips. Could it be a Seaba instead????
Thanks for the help.

martym
01-18-2004, 12:40 AM
Anyone ?????????

Quinn
01-18-2004, 12:42 AM
I think you would want to ask Tony about this, he seems quite good at identifying anemones.

Canadian Man
01-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Looks very similar to Tony's ritteri other than color.

Jack
01-18-2004, 12:49 AM
What about sebae?

http://saltreef.com/images/sebae5.jpg

martym
01-18-2004, 12:52 AM
That's what i was thinking Jack. It doesn't seem to have the large foot that LTA's have.
Where would I find Tony???

Quinn
01-18-2004, 01:21 AM
My son, when you are ready, Tony will find you.

Just kidding, we're talking about Delphinus.

I know that often sebaes have the purple tips. However there may be other species that have them as well. I really doubt that it would be an LTA, that's for sure.

martym
01-18-2004, 01:44 AM
:biggrin:

mnoll406
01-18-2004, 02:34 AM
I also would say it is a sebae.

Mike

Delphinus
01-18-2004, 05:01 AM
(Better late than never?)

Looks very much like a Heteractis crispa (sebae), which you kind of knew by now. :lol:

LTA's (Macrodactyla doreensis) and sebaes can sometimes look quite similar. H. crispa can also look quite similar to H. malu although H. malu and M. doreensis don't really look anything alike so it goes to show how variable that species can be.

LTA's are sometimes called corkscrew anemones because sometimes that have tentacles coiled up like ... corkscrews. But not always. But generally speaking you can tell a LTA from a sebae by that the tentacle density is much higher on sebae's than LTA's. If you can see the oral disk through the tentacles you're likely looking at an LTA but if you can't see the oral disk at all through the tentacles then sebae is a likely candidate.

They don't always have the purple/pink dots at the tips of the tentacles.

Namscam
01-18-2004, 05:54 AM
Wow Delphinus you really know your scientific names dont you..I hated scientific names when I was taking invertebrate zoology at Cap College..Damn names was like a different lanuage and all most made me fail my lab trying to identify the species by their scientic names... :crazyeye:...but hey cant complain that course did spark my interest in this hobby and I did get a chance to go to bamfield marine station which was just great so I really cant complain :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-18-2004, 06:18 AM
Although I can't pronounce any of them correctly (:lol:), I think I prefer dealing with latin names over common names. The problem for me with common names is when you have 5 or 6 common names for the same animal and most of the common names are shared by other species as well. Then I think it's just confusing!

Bamfield station. VERY cool stuff. What sort of field studies did you do?

Namscam
01-18-2004, 06:31 AM
yeah it was great there plus the food was great there too...I stayed in the new dorms that was just recently built...went there to study the habitats of rocky shore, mudflats, sandy beaches, and the plankton layer....Had to see what kind of species occupied what habitat and within each habitat there was a level of competition so each species was spaced out according to how well they can compete and how they have adapted to the lifestyle such as you would find acorn barnacles higher than gooseneck barnacles on the rocky shores if memory serves me correctly. but yeah also had to study what kind of adaptation did these species have to adapt to their environment... I have great pics of the green anemone....Anthopleura xanthogrammica and Anthopleura elligantisma (spelling)...I really should get a scanner to scan those pics....

martym
01-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks Delphinus :smile:

I can't see the disc so just as I figured it is a seabea. Don't know if I want it know. I guess I'll see if "Nemo" takes to it or not.
Thanks everyone.

Delphinus
01-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Of all the Indo/Pacific hosting species I think H. crispa hosts more clownfish than any other species, being a natural symbiont for some 14 species whereas the next two most numerous are 12 species (H. magnifica and S. mertensii) (ref: Fautin/Allen). FWIW, of course, because in captivity many associations are formed that do not occur in the wild.

H. crispa is a natural symbiont for A. percula although not A. ocellaris, but basically I would say that even if your fish is ocellaris, they'll probably go in at some point. If they're captive bred, it might take them some time for the old instincts to kick in. Of course there are never any guarantees though, but good luck nonetheless. :cool:

PS. Namscam ... please do scan those pictures in and post them! It would be awesome to see. :cool:

Bob I
01-18-2004, 08:55 PM
...I really should get a scanner to scan those pics....

I've had one sitting in a cupboard for over a year. Come and get it. :biggrin: