PDA

View Full Version : Please help quick!

Brickywan-kenobi
05-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Okay, so I have a synodontis petricola who has been acting strange, I think he might be sick. I just did a 50% water change and when I reconnected everything I saw him lying on the ground not moving around besides flicking his fins and gills. He's breathing a little fast, but looks healthy. My ammonia and nitrites are at 0, but my nitrates were a little high (around 80ppm), which was why I changed the water in the first place. What should I do? I don't want my fish to die if I can do anything to help him.

cale262
05-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Syno cats don't like big water changes, they are very sensitive to PH changes and chlorine...Did you add any PRIME to your new water?

If you have seachem Prime on hand add some now but you're really going to have to wait and see, Another big help would be if you can acquire some, add some seachem Stabilty.... He may just pull through.

These are two great products to use with your wc's, I always use the prime with new fresh water (from the tap) and keep the Stability on hand incase you have a freak crash....

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html

TorontoBound
05-20-2011, 04:10 AM
Do you use stress coat or any products that may contain aloe Vera?
If you do and your testing with aquarium pharms liquid yes you will get a false reading.
I recommend adding an air stone and use prime, amquel plus, or ultimate x. Prime is best bang for your buck. It wouldn't hurt to add a nitrate removing media.

HTH

Sea Witch
05-20-2011, 04:12 AM
+1 on the airstone. Make sure the water is oxygenated enough. If you don't have an airstone then add a pump to create some movement on the surface (for air exchange). Check your temperature. And just hang tough.

Brickywan-kenobi
05-20-2011, 05:02 AM
thanks for the answers. i don't use prime, but i did dechlorinate the water with aqua plus when i changed the water. i'll probably pick some prime up, along with stability.

my syno has begun to recover. he may have been shocked, as now he is cruising around the tank as normal. Once again, thank you for your advice.