PDA

View Full Version : Need advice asap!!

tony_3a
05-19-2011, 05:22 PM
I just had a big spill, I did not realize the slots in my overflow were quite plugged so the water level in my tank was a lot higher than it should of been. I turned off my return pump as i do often to fix stuff. For the first time my sump over flowed a lot. For the last hour I have been sopping up water.

Now heres my big problem. I have laminate hardwood flooring and i am sure there is a lot of water under my stand, which is just a oceanic rr stand. I have a lot of fans blowing on the floor where water is coming from.

I dont know if i should rip down my tank because i dont want a lot of water damage to my house as it is a brand new house.

Any advice would be awesome here
Thanks.

sphelps
05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
What is "laminate hardwood flooring"? If it's laminate the floor is probably already toast under the stand, if it's engineered hardwood you might be OK but you need to dry up the water if you want to save it.

Problem with these fish tanks is a spill is bound to happen at some point, to protect the flooring in my new house I plumbed the sump into the basement which should eliminate most if not all spills on the main floor. If this is not possible I would consider tanking the tank down temporarily and at least installing a rubber mat under the stand, bend it up against the wall behind so all water spills end up in an area you can mop them up.

tony_3a
05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
ok well its looks like hardwood, but its all one piece. well not spanning across, but i mean its not true hardwood. This sucks.

Thanks

What is "laminate hardwood flooring"? If it's laminate the floor is probably already toast under the stand, if it's engineered hardwood you might be OK but you need to dry up the water if you want to save it.

Problem with these fish tanks is a spill is bound to happen at some point, to protect the flooring in my new house I plumbed the sump into the basement which should eliminate most if not all spills on the main floor. If this is not possible I would consider tanking the tank down temporarily and at least installing a rubber mat under the stand, bend it up against the wall behind so all water spills end up in an area you can mop them up.

tony_3a
05-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Just looked at my builders site and they call it laminate hardwood floors as well.

sphelps
05-19-2011, 06:01 PM
It's likely laminate which is made from MDF, terrible for moisture as it swells up just from the sight of it. Good news is you now have an excuse to take it out and put something better in :wink:

monocus
05-20-2011, 12:34 AM
there's hardwood,engineered hardwood then there's laminate.there is no such thing as laminate hardwood.your floor is toast .the laminate will start to de-laminate and curl up at the edges.i've had to do numerous repairs for people's floors where they decided to mop the floors and ruined their floors

MarkoD
05-20-2011, 01:59 AM
yeah the laminate is toast..... why didnt you just turn on the pump again when you saw that the sump was about to overflow

Chaloupa
05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Guess I'm going to have to disagree. I've had MANY MANY spills on my laminate floor. Several large spills...and many small ones. My laminate is great...not perfect, but great. It didn't completely ruin the floor, it didn't curl up and be toast...it just isn't quite perfect...and unless I point out where the small issues are...you wouldn't know. So..there may be hope for your floor!

MarkoD
05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Guess I'm going to have to disagree. I've had MANY MANY spills on my laminate floor. Several large spills...and many small ones. My laminate is great...not perfect, but great. It didn't completely ruin the floor, it didn't curl up and be toast...it just isn't quite perfect...and unless I point out where the small issues are...you wouldn't know. So..there may be hope for your floor!

is your stand open on the bottom or closed up?

because if your stand is wood and all closed up and water gets trapped under there, its toast for sure...... and starting to mold

gobytron
05-20-2011, 01:51 PM
you guys should see where I used to have my 72 bow on my oak floors...

It looks black now,...I assume due to the salt.

Sump is now plumbed ot the basement.

Tony, all you can do is dry it out the best you can.
A dehumidifier might help.

Just get some towels in there and hope for the best.

Chaloupa
05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
is your stand open on the bottom or closed up?

because if your stand is wood and all closed up and water gets trapped under there, its toast for sure...... and starting to mold Actually, yes, solid bottom, and the tank, which sat there for years is gone, and the floor underneath is fine.