PDA

View Full Version : Will my stocking plan work?

MarkoD
05-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I currently have a 180 gallon tank and this is my stocking plan:

Regal tang
yellow tang
tomini tang
2 clarkii clowns
foxface rabbitfish
coral beauty
manderin goby.
algae blenny.

Just wondering if I'd still have the capability to add a naso tang

Oxymoron
05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
I've seen many tanks around the same size as yours and even smaller with heavier bioloads.
Tang police might try to get ya, but I think most would agree that your good to go.

fishytime
05-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Well Im not the tang police but I do know that a 180g IMO is too small for an adult(say, 7 plus inches) Naso.......a small one for a couple years, maybe......I had a small one in my 110 and felt that he needed bigger digs when he was only 4".....they really do love to swim and need the space to do so....

MarkoD
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Hmmm I just looked it up on LA and it recommends 180 gallon for adult

Oxymoron
05-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Well Im not the tang police but I do know that a 180g IMO is too small for an adult(say, 7 plus inches) Naso.......a small one for a couple years, maybe......I had a small one in my 110 and felt that he needed bigger digs when he was only 4".....they really do love to swim and need the space to do so....

Fishy is much more of an expert than me, I'd go with his opinion:)

xtreme
05-19-2011, 07:40 PM

You will find most online vendor recommendations for tank sizes are usually a bit on the small side.

I have a regal, naso and bariene tang and it is only a matter of time before they outgrow my 280.

MarkoD
05-19-2011, 07:41 PM
So how much bigger is required for a naso tang?

fishytime
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM

we're talking about a fish with the potential to get over a foot long......LA wants you to buy their fish, so they wont tell you they really shouldnt be in anything smaller than a 280:wink:......the naso family is one that should probably be left in the ocean, even thought a good number do well in our aquariums...They get too darn big and like to swim too much...there is a very small percentage of tanks that are big enough for an adult......again just my opinion.....