PDA

View Full Version : Help, how many dwarf angels can a guy have

bpachal
05-18-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi Guys,

Summary
I have a 160 that I am starting from scratch as far as the fish load is concerned. The tank itself has been up for a number of years. I have just finished rebuilding the reef structure (took me 5 times to get it right... ocd played a part). The water, substrate, sump, live rock is all the same as before. The only fish that may get resigned is my two clowns that I started the hoby with; a pistol shrimp, watchman goby duo, small blue hippo I have had for about a year, and an odd pair of coral banded shrimp that unlike most are best of friends.

Question
While I haven't decided if this is going to be a reef or fowlr I know for sure dwarf angels are going in. How many can in your guys' opinion can I house? My intended list is a flame, coral beauty, bi-color, and an Atlantic pygmy. Am I out to lunch?

The reef structure is built on a frame allowing the rocks to have large gaps and passages as opposed to a compact design you get from stacking. Tank again is 160 + 30 gal sump

fishytime
05-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Might work if you add them all at once.....I had a flame and a bicolor in my last set up with no real big issues.....its gonna be one of those calculated risk things:wink:........

bpachal
05-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks, I have the Bi-color and coral beauty now in separate tanks, maybe I will wait until the flame and Atlantic come in and add them together.

wingedfish
05-19-2011, 12:10 AM
I have a coral beauty and bicolor in a 75 with no issues. I've had them for 8 months. They were in a FOWLR that a bought for the livestock so unknown how long they were together nor how they were introduced.

Coleus
05-20-2011, 02:57 AM
well i have 3 in my 155 gallon and they have been with each other for more than a year now. Here is what i did

1) Introduce the most aggressive last so here was my order: golden angel, multi color and then flames. My flames now is the boss of all 3.

2) Lots of hiding cave so they can run and hide when got chased

3) Feed them regularly with auto feeder, 4 times per day for me

4) Little bit of luck (this is important hahah)

Good luck and I hope you will have success with yours

George
05-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Atlantic pygmy (if you refer to Centropyge argi) is known to be aggressive. Of course someone will post that their argi is tame. You will take a chance for putting an argi in a tank with some other dwarf angels.
Fortunately there are many different dwarf angels you can choose.

bpachal
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys.

I will be introducing them all at once; this Thursday. Tons of hiding space, check. Food, I have a slight diatom problem and have read they are great for it, any thoughts? Luck... all my luck is used on the Canucks.. im not asking for any more until playoffs are over. I will keep and eye on the atlantic pygmy.

bpachal
05-24-2011, 04:59 PM
What are your thoughts on a half black in substitution for the Atlantic

Parker
05-24-2011, 05:26 PM
I had three at one time, Flame / Fisheri and a third one where the name escapes me at the moment. I never had any trouble.

bpachal
05-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Well its been 24 hours since they all went in.

I substituted the Atlantic for a Half Black and pretty happy with everyone so far. The Flame, as expected, chased a couple but with the way the rock is set up they all have 5 or 6 directions to go. Its funny to watch him come out on different sides of the tank after a chase looking pretty confused. However all that only lasted the first few hours. The color in the tank is amazing. Thanks for everyones help.

Coleus
05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
keep watching for over couple days. I think you should be fine with lots of cave. I love to watch all mine. I would be devastated if any of them died.

bpachal
06-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Its been a week and they are still doing great. I have the opportunity to watch my tank at least 8 waking hours a day and no aggression. Im gonna say adding them all at once is the way to go. No one has picked or started to defend a territory so what I am left with is 4 awesome fish weaving in and out of the whole tank.

Coleus
06-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Its been a week and they are still doing great. I have the opportunity to watch my tank at least 8 waking hours a day and no aggression. Im gonna say adding them all at once is the way to go. No one has picked or started to defend a territory so what I am left with is 4 awesome fish weaving in and out of the whole tank.

I think it still too soon to tell but hopefully everything stay the same as it now. Fish does change their behaviors over time.