PDA

View Full Version : There's a fungus amongus

One_Divided
06-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Well maybe not among all of us, but among my true perc.. I just got a pair of percs on credit (yay xenia!) at a lfs and I noticed the next days that the female has a small amount of fluffy white fungus type stuff on one of it's fins.. I've done a bit of reading on it but I wanted to hear what any of you might have to say about it? The growth hasn't gotten any worse, but I hear it can end up being fatal.. The fish is eating like a pig.. I'm soaking the food in selcon.. I'd like to avoid doing a quarentine thing.. Or should I just return the fish to the store?

pierremtl
01-02-2003, 04:39 PM
I have the same problem....with one true percula....a bit of white fungus on is fins...and it's seems to spread...and he eat like 2 pigs ! LOL

What did you do ?...What append to your fish ?

I just setup a 10 gallons hospital...just in case...and i will try melafix...

Pierre

Delphinus
01-02-2003, 04:51 PM
This probably doesn't help much, but when I bought my percs/ocellaris back several years ago now, one of them developed a small patch of fungus. It (the fungus like growth, that is) disappeared within a few weeks, and that fish is still with me. :)

I'd for sure do as you suggest ... keep the fish well fed, vitamins, anything you can do to promote "good overall health" and I'm sure it will get better.

Good luck!

PS. I have no idea if it really was "fungus" or something else. I call it fungus, because that's what it looked like. Like a small piece of cream cheese or something. It was on the body just aft of the pect fins. But I doubt it was "really" fungus but in fact something else. Sorry I can't be of better assistance other than to offer "moral support" ....

Canadian
01-02-2003, 07:51 PM
True fungal infections in aquarium fish are more rare than people think. The fact that this is a Clownfish, is likely wild caught, and the "fungus-like tufts" are on the fins, would be a pretty good precursor to Brooklynella. Before you start treating for a fungal infection try to determine whether or not it's Brooklynella first.

reefburnaby
01-02-2003, 10:12 PM
One_divided,

The fish should be fine as long as the fish is happy -- i.e no bullying and good food. You may want to try to feed it mysis or bloodworms since they may contain more nutrients. As long as the patch does not grow, it should be fine.

- Victor.

One_Divided
01-02-2003, 11:57 PM
LOL :lol:

THis post was from June 2002!

My percs are fine now.. I actually just waited it out, and it cleared up.. I mixed selcon with my food too..

I believe Marricine (sp?) is the way to go if you want to set up a hospital tank..

-Adam

Quinn
01-08-2003, 11:20 PM
talk about delayed reactions... "uh... yeah... the fish died months ago..." :D

Canadian
01-09-2003, 02:36 AM
Actually, note that pierremtl asked a related/follow-up question to which members responded. 8)