PDA

View Full Version : Good bristleworm ( wishfull thinking )

pscott99
05-18-2011, 01:48 PM
This pink worm / tenticle like creature has just appeared after 7 months. It came out and retracted back like a tenticle. The rock opening is about 1cm. It extended out up to 2-3 cm. That is my african flameback and cleaner shrimp for size. It has white bumps extending out. It goes back in quick when I was taking pictures. I treat my corals and have added no more new rock so it must have come in as an egg ? Anyways I hope it is safe because it sure is a pleasant surprise.

ScubaSteve
05-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Pics are a bit fuzzy but, from what I can see, it's just a harmless bristle worm. If there are little tufts of spines or hairs protruding from the side then it is definitely a bristle.

Despite the bad rap they get, they're actually quite harmless and one of the best detritus eaters. Just don't grab onto it with your bare hand and you guys will be the best of friends... Well it'll probably be your only friend cuz it'll scare away all your real friends.

Probably didn't come as an egg but as a tiny worm hiding in your rocks. You'd be surprised how many you probably actually have in there.

whatcaneyedo
05-18-2011, 06:06 PM
They're actually broadcast spawners... I had the pleasure(?) of watching it happen once in a friends tank. ALL of the worms quickly stuck out of their hiding holes a few at a time and shot fluid into the water column. This happened while his skimmer was broken down waiting for a new pump. Lucky worms. So they don't appear to lay eggs but thats all I know about their reproduction.

You'll be amazed at what can appear out of liverock months or even years after you add it.

ScubaSteve
05-18-2011, 06:47 PM
You'll be amazed at what can appear out of liverock months or even years after you add it.

Tell me about it. I just had chitons and limpets appear out of nowhere recently. No frags have been added in a few months now and the rock is a few years old. Always surprises in this hobby.

pscott99
06-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Probably didn't come as an egg but as a tiny worm hiding in your rocks. You'd be surprised how many you probably actually have in there.

ummm i have now seen the "same" one in a totally different rock. I have never seen it's full length either. so far about 3-4cm and counting.

not worried I quess, mind you I would never be able to catch them without removing the rocks probably.

lastlight
06-01-2011, 07:59 PM
I must have hundreds of these. When I feed I see them poke out from many places. I tried to catch a shrimp once in pop-bottle trap. Caught a massive one of these instead. I think they're beneficial... I just tossed the nasty thing back in.

Eyford01
06-04-2011, 04:14 PM
+1 for beneficial cleaner, they eat lil left over bits of food before it can rot however should anyone be grossed out by them arrow crabs will clean em out pretty quick but i'd leave em... just don't poke them

Magma
06-04-2011, 08:15 PM
They're actually broadcast spawners... I had the pleasure(?) of watching it happen once in a friends tank. ALL of the worms quickly stuck out of their hiding holes a few at a time and shot fluid into the water column. This happened while his skimmer was broken down waiting for a new pump. Lucky worms. So they don't appear to lay eggs but thats all I know about their reproduction.

this happened to me about a month ago, after a water change.

I knew I had some but I thought I had small ones becuase thats all I ever saw. Once they started to spawn I saw ones that were easily the size of a pencil around and longer than my fingers. So where there is one worm theres at least 10 more you cant see ;)