PDA

View Full Version : Starter tank help

SleepyPirate
05-18-2011, 02:36 AM
Just started a 90 gallon tank, so far I have a Fluval 405 filter, stock floresent light and 48x18 1/2x23 " tank with a few accesories heater/underwater fan. So far all I have is live sand about 1" all around. I think my lighting is totaly inadequite for anything more so im afraid to upgrade I relise I need a sump in the future but as of now cant afford. Does anyone have any tips on moving on up to put live rock and keep a healthy eviroment for perhaps some coral without the use of a sump?

The tank has scratchs so really i dont want this to be my future tank just a starter tank that I can transfer my healthy coral into a better tank

The live sand was bought used from a previous owner who mainly has fish but with lots of live rock so it already has a few inhabitants like snails in it.

Jewel
05-18-2011, 03:07 AM
To start with you don't have the lights to support Coral, lots of people run tanks with out sumps. You've got some live sand there and putting rock into your system isn't hard, make sure your SG is 1.025 and your temp is stable. Your tank will cycle because of the rock addition. A 90 gl is a good size for a tank. I'd invest in some good lights and this certainly a good forem to ask what kind would be best. Good Luck

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-18-2011, 03:17 AM
Welcome to Canreef
1st of you need power heads not mentioned in your post.
Make sure the sand hasn't been in a copper treated tank.
You need to invest in good setup for lighting.
A skimmer is a must for a non sump tank.
Don't spend your money on Live rocks get Marco Rocks (http://caco3reef.com/caco3reef-base-rocks)and seed it with few lbs of live rocks.
I am sure others will chime in for help.

cathyg_99
05-18-2011, 08:40 AM
+1 a sump is not really needed, i would add a little bit more sand around 2-3 inches, it helps with filtration but thats a personal preference if you dont want to add it... the stock lighting will need an upgrade if you want any sort of corals, T5s are cheaper than Metal Halides, which would be great for almost everything some SPS need the metal halides for rich colors... if you are 100% sure you will upgrade i would think about the size and type of your next tank when you purchase your light this way you can use it for the next one without having to buy a brand new one again