PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium Waste Water

Sea Witch
05-18-2011, 12:20 AM
I'm curious. Is there any use for the aquarium waste water? I used to use waste FW aquarium water to water my plants.....

And for those with a septic field, do you put your water down the drain?

ALang
05-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Hello! Nice to have another lady reefer!
We have both a septic tank and field. Every time I empty my SW into my drain, I expect something very nasty to happen.
We lived on an acreage for 4 years now, so far so good, crossing all fingers and toes. But I only change out about 10-15% every two weeks, 15-25 gal-ish.
And I most times use the Python water changer (left from my FW days) to siphon it out, so there's some FW mixed it there, hopefully enough to dilute the SW so my new septic tanks won't collapse.
Lenny.

fishytime
05-18-2011, 01:20 AM
water your driveway weeds with it......its generally not recommended to put saltwater into a septic field.....a septic back-up due to a collapse of the bacteria is an expensive fix......your a gambler huh Lenny?:wink:

ALang
05-18-2011, 02:06 AM
Nuh...a gambler I am not.
But there's not too much one can do with it.
Fine, in Summer I can gather up the buckets and try to feed them to those nasty weeds, but sometimes, time is severely lacking.
So in winter time I have no where to put that either.
Maybe I should have stuck to FW, huh??:cry:

fishytime
05-18-2011, 03:26 AM
But there's not too much one can do with it.
Fine, in Summer I can gather up the buckets and try to feed them to those nasty weeds, but sometimes, time is severely lacking.
So in winter time I have no where to put that either.
Maybe I should have stuck to FW, huh??:cry:

not an enviable situation for sure........glad your into the salt tho and to heck with the septic field!:mrgreen::lol:.....I cant remember what its called now but there is a product that is supposed to help boost the bacteria......it might be worth a call to a septic qualified plumber to see what he thinks...

The Grizz
05-18-2011, 03:32 AM
I have the same issues here Lenny, my septic is a gravity feed gravel bed. This year I am going to tap into my whole house RO system waste water side to drain to as to not fill the septic tank & put in a pump into both septic tanks to force feed the gravel bed I asked the septic truck guys about dumping SW into the tank and he suggested doing a triple dose of the septic chem every month but that would equal about $300 a year instead of $100.

ALang
05-18-2011, 04:10 AM
Yes, I hear ya. And the SW isn't great for the driveway, either is it?
Short of trying to dilute some when doing water changes, or maybe smaller changes more often to hopefully minimize some of the damage...
Wish I was back in the city instead of sharing space with the coyotes, deers, and moose! :twised:

The Grizz
05-18-2011, 04:17 AM
If there is a way you can drain into the wet side of the septic tank that is the best option. All the bacteria is on the solid side where it breaks down the solids.

Sea Witch
05-18-2011, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the help, you'all. I'm not sure how I'll handle it yet. I have a gravel driveway, but I'd hate for it to leach into the grass eventually....don't want to collapse my septic system either.....

Maverick00
05-18-2011, 05:48 AM
drain for me, then I leave the water running for abit. If i wasnt renting i would probably see what other options are available...:neutral:

kamster
05-18-2011, 06:02 AM
So, everyone is talking about septic systems...But what if you live in the City? Can i dump the SW in the toilet??

Sea Witch
05-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I don't see why not. I think most/all people using a city sewer system just put it down the drain. It's more complicated if your waste water is going under your grass in the backyard.

Ross
05-18-2011, 04:01 PM
What about simply allowing it to evaporate outside during the warm months?

Evaporate off the water, toss the salt into the garbage?

A black storage container would speed it up.

PoonTang
05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the help, you'all. I'm not sure how I'll handle it yet. I have a gravel driveway, but I'd hate for it to leach into the grass eventually....don't want to collapse my septic system either.....

Gravel driveways are the best option of all. Salt water will eventually eat out the concrete of a septic tank and D-Box so not a good option there. I just pour mine on my lawn and try to use a different place each time and have had not had a problem with the grass dying. Put it on your driveway and kill all those nasty weeds, you shouldnt have a problem with leeching at all plus all the rain we get here will dilute it pretty good.

ALang
05-18-2011, 05:49 PM
I'll try the gravel weeding option.
Here in Edmonton, we're still waiting on rain!:neutral:

Leah
05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
I'll try the gravel weeding option.
Here in Edmonton, we're still waiting on rain!:neutral:

Us in B.C can lend you ours. :wink:

fencer
05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
setup a solar still ....collect good water and save the salt for winter sidewalks

fishytime
05-18-2011, 09:27 PM
setup a solar still ....collect good water and save the salt for winter sidewalks

I don't know..... Bright lights and a still in the garage is asking for a visit from the boys in blue:mrgreen:

Sea Witch
05-18-2011, 10:39 PM

I thought about that....but don't the bad organics stay in the water even when the salt is separated?