PDA

View Full Version : Browning out

chef
05-17-2011, 01:55 AM
My friend has a new BC 29g hqi. Its been running for approx. 2 months and was doing really well. Lately there has been a ton of coraline growth (of the red scaly variety) and everything seems to be browning out. The brain,acans and softies look healthy and robust, just have lost that intense colour. There is a 150w 14000k de approx 8 in. from the glass. Any ideas? ca 380 po .03

globaldesigns
05-17-2011, 03:51 PM
If things are growing and you have polyp extension on your corals, then it is most likely to much nutrients in the water. When you have this situation, the corals take it all in, but the result is brown corals.

I don't know your friends feeding patterns for your fish and coral, but you can try reducing them.

fishytime
05-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Two months....is that two months since he started his cycle, or two months since the end of his cycle?..... Either way that is still pretty much a baby of a set-up..... How many fish are in the tank?..... What are his nitrates at?

Twinn
05-17-2011, 07:01 PM
As stated above sound like a water quality issue to me what are nitrate and phosphate levels.