PDA

View Full Version : 93g cube lighting

chef
05-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Hello y'all, this is my first thread but have been somewhat active on the forum for a few months. I am setting up a 93g cube and am debating the lighting situation. The tank is 30 long, 22 wide and 24 deep.Paul @ oceanic coral boutique was brilliant in setting up a coast to coast and I am very excited to get her started. Question is- It has been suggested to go with a 250mh pendant. After viewing MANY ocean gardens i feel it might lack the colour of actinic. I have a dual 150w coralife i previously purchased. If I put 2x39w actinic in front and behind my mh, will this be enough light to penetrate 24 in. The sps will be up top,with lps and softies mid area.Thanx.

lastlight
05-16-2011, 10:37 PM
150w wasn't enough for SPS in my old Solana. That was a 20" cube.

A single 250w wasn't all that great over my current tank (36L x 24W x 26H) due to shadows so I added another. Things are great now but I have since added a chiller. I'd never again try and run a tank with a lone single point light source. So much of the corals is in shadow.

T5 would be a great option for this tank.

chef
05-17-2011, 12:20 AM
would the t5 's penetrate the 24" depth to have a brain, plate, cat eye etc. on the sand bed?

lastlight
05-17-2011, 12:22 AM
t5 will have no problems at all. Especially if you have decent reflectors and enough bulbs.

I'm no expert but I'd try 6-8 24" tubes. 3" on each side will be no big deal especially when you're looking to place your lower light corals AND you need room for access around the sides too.

chef
05-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Thanx for your advice lastlight. Any mh purists wanna chime in?

freezetyle
05-17-2011, 01:08 AM
t5 will have no problems at all. Especially if you have decent reflectors and enough bulbs.

I'm no expert but I'd try 6-8 24" tubes. 3" on each side will be no big deal especially when you're looking to place your lower light corals AND you need room for access around the sides too.

i agree on the 6-8 bulb t5 unit. I have a 6bulb sunpower and while my tank has a little less depth than yours, I had no problems keeping a clam and encrusting monty on the sandbed

lastlight
05-17-2011, 01:15 AM
Thanx for your advice lastlight. Any mh purists wanna chime in?

Even tho I've owned a T5 fixture I consider myself a mh purist lol =) You could run a pair of 250s in something like lumenmax 3s. I have the elites and I think that's more spread than you need across 30" of tank.