PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Demand in the Tank Question

Sea Witch
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
I've read a *lot* about calcium demand and how to compensate when your calcium levels, your alkalinity, your magnesium, and your pH are all falling.

My question is what can you have in a reef tank that doesn't have such a high calcium demand so you don't have to keep replenishing beyond what your instant seawater gives (isn't it about 500-550ppm Calcium?) gives you?

Are there some kinds of reef tanks that don't need additional calcium beyond the reef water salt?

Delphinus
05-16-2011, 09:37 PM
My advice is get yourself into the mindset that dosing Ca/Alk/Mg is not really all that bad. To a degree, all organisms make use of Ca/Alk so even a softeys tank with low demand still benefits from managing the parameters in one way or another. Even fish, I mean, usually, look at the health of the fish in a healthy managed reef and compare to that of an unmanaged FOWLR.

If the demand is low enough you can get away with managing parameters through water changes but ultimately this will become an expensive way to manage parameters. You will be better off (IMO) managing water changes and managing parameters (be it through dosing or reactors) independent of one another.

cathyg_99
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM
I've read a *lot* about calcium demand and how to compensate when your calcium levels, your alkalinity, your magnesium, and your pH are all falling.

My question is what can you have in a reef tank that doesn't have such a high calcium demand so you don't have to keep replenishing beyond what your instant seawater gives (isn't it about 500-550ppm Calcium?) gives you?

Are there some kinds of reef tanks that don't need additional calcium beyond the reef water salt?

my calcium is around 440ish, if your looking to start your first tank softies are the way to go, frogspawn, hammers, xenia ect. they arnt as demanding and go up from there... ive noticed that SPS corals require constant dosing because they use so much but as a newbie anyways i just kill them...

mark
05-16-2011, 11:03 PM
stay away from the Stonies (SPS and LPS)

PoonTang
05-16-2011, 11:16 PM
The answer is kinda yes and no. You can have a tank with fish only that will have very little demand and from there it just goes up depending on the number and size of corals that you have in the tank. But dont fret, dosing is not hard and all the stuff you need is readily available, most of it from your local Grocery store.

Leah
05-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I do not dose anything. :biggrin:

don.ald
05-16-2011, 11:46 PM
I do not dose anything. :biggrin:

do tell us more?? and what salt are you using?

Leah
05-16-2011, 11:51 PM

Instant Ocean. I do weekly water changes with pre made salt and good old tap water and prime.

don.ald
05-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Instant Ocean. I do weekly water changes with pre made salt and good old tap water and prime.

good ole fashion water change! who knew:mrgreen:

fishytime
05-16-2011, 11:58 PM

Have a look at Carmens old 72......no dosing and no skimmer for a while if I remember correctly http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45688

marie
05-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Dosing isn't nearly as complicated as the literature makes it out to be. I started with using a kalk drip, it doses in the proper ratio (for the most part)

Sea Witch
05-17-2011, 12:33 AM
So there are a few low-techies around.....:mrgreen:

no_bs
05-17-2011, 04:54 PM
You can get away without dosing if you do regular w/c. I go 3-4 months(could probably go longer) without doing a w/c, but i dose alot(Ca, Mg, Alk, Trace, Vit's & minerals, Iodide, Potassium)to go that long without a w/c.

Lance
05-17-2011, 05:01 PM
So there are a few low-techies around.....:mrgreen:

Although I now use dosing pumps on timers, for several years I just dosed manually. Figure out how much of each you need, test your water parameters weekly and adjust your dosing if necessary. Piece of cake. :lol: