PDA

View Full Version : Green humilis RTNed...

Son Of Skyline
01-16-2004, 10:49 PM
:sad:

Sad day for me. For the past few days my green humilis (one of my most prized frags) started looking pale. Well today it's doing the dreaded RTN. Bright neon green tissue shearing away in the current :frown:

Before:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/20330nov03-002web.jpg?3572

Now...the base still looks kinda green in this pic but it's actually a dead, brownish olive colour:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/203humilisrtn-med.jpg?6239

Tips of the coral I'm hoping will recover:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/203humilisrtn2-med.jpg?3637

It's frustrating...no prior signs and everything else is doing great.

Sorry...I just had to vent...

Delphinus
01-16-2004, 11:17 PM
Good luck ... if it's any consolation I once had to frag a coral that was RTN'ing after a particularly long shipping incident. Although the main colony did not make it, all the frags did. I'd keep the frags in good current and run some carbon if you aren't already. And I guess hope for the best.

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Mason, so sorry to see that happening.

Doug

Jack
01-17-2004, 01:50 AM
Try to mount those asap.

props
01-17-2004, 02:25 AM
awww crappy man
hope those lil frags makes it

Samw
01-17-2004, 04:14 AM
That sucks Mason. What's going on? Any idea? You have quite good water conditions.

Bryan
01-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Funny, mine has started to RTN as well. I am blaming it on the slightly warmer weather. It has caused my tank to creep up to 84 as I don't have my cooling fans hooked up because it's still winter.

StirCrazy
01-17-2004, 02:48 PM
Funny, mine has started to RTN as well. I am blaming it on the slightly warmer weather. It has caused my tank to creep up to 84 as I don't have my cooling fans hooked up because it's still winter.

I can't see a temp of 84 being the cause, you will find a lot of tanks vary by a few degrees and quite regularly hit 84 degrees. in the summer my tank was bouncing between 82 and 86 and even as high as 89 with no ill effects. I am not saying this was a factor as maybe the coral was already weakened and this accelerated it, but I would be looking elsewhere for a cause also.

On the other hand sometimes this happens for no other reason than the coral was stressed at some point in the last year and finally succumbed to the stress.

Steve

Son Of Skyline
01-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'm gonna go out and get some new carbon today. I'm not exactly sure what happened. All my other corals look fine and my tank has been stable this whole time. One of the frags is already gone, but the bigger of the two is still alive so I'm hoping it pulls through. It's just frustrating to lose one of your favorite pieces to something that comes out of nowhere that you can't do anything about :mad:

Son Of Skyline
01-19-2004, 05:57 AM
As of today the humilis is officially gone :mad:

Should I be worried about my other colonies?

Delphinus
01-19-2004, 03:03 PM
I'd be a little concerned, yes, I would be keeping an eye on things for a couple of days. But after a few days and nothing then you should be OK.

Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Was it a wild caught colony? Sometimes it just happens with those.

Bob I
01-19-2004, 03:31 PM

I can't see a temp of 84 being the cause, you will find a lot of tanks vary by a few degrees and quite regularly hit 84 degrees. in the summer my tank was bouncing between 82 and 86 and even as high as 89 with no ill effects. I am not saying this was a factor as maybe the coral was already weakened and this accelerated it, but I would be looking elsewhere for a cause also.

On the other hand sometimes this happens for no other reason than the coral was stressed at some point in the last year and finally succumbed to the stress.

Steve

Ok something strange here. Did Steve get a spell checker :question: :biggrin: , or perhaps his fingers lost weight :question:

BCOrchidGuy
01-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Wow Bob I never noticed but you're right.

Doug

Aquattro
01-19-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok something strange here. Did Steve get a spell checker :question: :biggrin: , or perhaps his fingers lost weight :question:
Or maybe someone corrected it after the fact....

BCOrchidGuy
01-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Brad, isn't that cheating, kinda like getting someone else to run the race for you?... All joking aside, his spelling isn't as bad as I've seen else where, I mean, sometimes you wonder what language he's using but it's still not so bad... really...... kinda..... :mrgreen:

Doug