PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Question

Sea Witch
05-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I know that there are several marine (aquarium) fish that have been captive bred and I'm familiar with the breeders' registry, etc.

My question is are there any fish or crabs or shrimp that have reproduced in a reef aquarium without the help (or interference) of the human? i.e. no separate breeder tanks or raising fry with special foods etc. I mean young that reached adulthood or at least beyond the juvenile stage......?

vaporize
05-15-2011, 06:56 AM
mysid shrimp :)

High tide
05-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Bangaii Cardinals.

fishytime
05-15-2011, 03:53 PM
we have several generations of peppermint shrimp in one of the tanks at the shop......there has never been any fish in that tank so the fry (if thats what shrimp babies are called) have a chance to make it.....no special feeding just some ocean fresh plankton every once in a while for the adults......cleaner shrimp breed easily too

chandigz
05-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Ya my bengaii cardnals used to breed all the time. To much tho. My male would have a mouth full of eggs/babies 20-24 days out of a month. It really took a toll on him only eating a couple days a month. I'd find the babies in my skimmer going round and round or in my sump.