PDA

View Full Version : Bryopsis

chopperman
05-15-2011, 02:13 AM
I have a liverock encrusted in gsp, with some button polyps on it. This algae has been on it for while but lately it has been growing like crazy. Im just curious if anyone can positively ID it as Bryopsis. I look at pics of bryopsis this doesnt look like the feather shaped branches more of a parachute shape. Perhaps bryo but a different species. I know, the picture quality is horrible. first thing is, I do use tap water and I know this time of year has alot of solids and silicates to feed it and i found out Turner Valley has 500 ppm tds:confused:. I just cant afford a RO unit right now. I do have a reactor that I will be setting up tommorow and running rowa phos in it. Can I cook this rock even and not lose all the GSP or polyps on it or is it time to put the rock in the freezer and kill everything? Its now spreading onto the sand. Thank you for any input.

Adam

mark
05-15-2011, 02:30 AM
looks like it.

I'm doing the Kent Tech M treatment (Mg supplement) and will say it works. No sense in in killing the rock as seems stuff would probably grow back plus it's on your sand.

Here's a link (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1113109)to another forum on it.

chopperman
05-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Thank you for the info, I'm definately checking that link out.

Adam

shootingstar
05-15-2011, 04:52 PM
You might want to try a H.Peroxide dip first.
(at least I would before resorting to chucking a rock into the freezer...YIKES!
Lots of info (and instructions)on here and many other forums.
But basically, tank water in a bowl + Hydrogen peroxide for 3-5 min.
Give it a quick swish/shake, then back into the tank.

Tom R
05-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Have you thought of getting a Sea Hare.
For about $20 they do a great job on hair algae.

Tom R

FishyFishy!
05-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I'm currently battling byropsis as well. Stuff grows sooo fast! I dose regularily with mag, but I'm going to go buy some KENT stuff, see if it works.

chopperman
05-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Im going to raise the mag, gotta pick up some kent tech m today. a 100ppm/day seems to be the norm. anyone seen it in calgary? Id like to just remove the rock but its on the sand now, so im going to have to treat the DT.

chopperman
05-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Started dosing w/ Kent Tech M magnesium tonight. Before I added it, Magnesium was 1340ppm. I added 100 mL of mag supplement. I'll check it tommorow and see how much adjustment it made. The bottle says 1mL/gal will raise it 18.3 ppm/day. Total tank volume is 100 gallons.

chopperman
05-21-2011, 01:20 AM
The magnesium seems to be working. I'm keeping it at 1750ppm and the bryopsis is turning yellowish/brown, and just doesnt look healthy. Havent seen any Ill effects on any of the inhabitants or corals and have been treating for 5 days.

mark
05-21-2011, 02:06 AM
rather amazing isn't it