PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning from Vancouver Island

Sea Witch
05-14-2011, 04:22 PM
Hi there:

I thought I better introduce myself before I start posting :mrgreen: I just moved to VI. Have a done a *lot* of FW over the years. Nothing set up at the moment. Preparing to do a first SW, and I figured I might as well go big or go home. Planning a big system. I'm trying to avoid a lot of the beginner mistakes.

I found the forum via half a dozen other forums. :rofl: I'm happy to find a Can one that's all reef and *busy* too! Yeehaw!

I must warn you I'm a relentless question-asker. :twised: but I'll help where I can too.

THANKS!

Delphinus
05-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

Where did you move from? I am always jealous of anyone who gets to live on an island, congrats on jumping over the strait.

Sea Witch
05-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Welcome to Canreef!

Where did you move from? I am always jealous of anyone who gets to live on an island, congrats on jumping over the strait.

Love your avatar, Delphinus. Got remarried, left behind an oil and gas career and 20 years in Calgary. Went from Garden Zone 3 to Garden Zone 7! I love it here. Mild weather and small town feel.

RedCoralOnlineStore
05-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Welcome to Canreef!!!

Lance
05-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Welcome to Canreef neighbour. I'm just across the Strait in Powell River. :lol:

Sea Witch
05-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Welcome to Canreef neighbour. I'm just across the Strait in Powell River. :lol:

Hi neighbor! I live right near the PR ferry. I'll wave to you across the water. :wave:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Used to live in PR as well and did an "unofficial" Big Brother programme with a troubled teen (Terry) who lived in Comox at the time. Know that ferry terminal well. It's a beautiful spot that you landed in.

Back in Vancouver/Burnaby now but lots of good memories from my time in PR and going to the Island.

Anthony

PoonTang
05-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi and welcome to Canreef. But please quit telling everyone how wonderful it is here, its kinda our little secret ;) We cant have just any old rif raf moving in ya know :twised:

ALang
05-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Zone 7!!!
We just started plant our seeds, last week!!
WE are so very jealous.
Welcome to canreef, good bunch here.

Aquaria
05-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi and welcome to Canreef. But please quit telling everyone how wonderful it is here, its kinda our little secret ;) We cant have just any old rif raf moving in ya know :twised:

Think that secret got out with the most beautiful place on earth slogan lol :p and welcome to canreef

KevinK
05-15-2011, 02:35 PM
if you want to go big, we have our house FS, and I can offer you 2 options

A) you buy a verry expensive tank with the site benefit that it comes with a 3200 sqft fish room around it that has bamboo flooring and a rental suit.

B) we can lock at options when we well the house, if the tank can come out !

the tank is in Langford, so only ashort drive to you!

if you go for option A, things can settle fast, and you have your tanks in as little as 3 weeks, when you want to go for B, you might have to wait a bit.

OHH.

site note

depending what we buy, we might want to bring the livestock with us, as we need to fill our new tank (in the planning is a 6x6 square tank, 2 side glass

Sea Witch
05-15-2011, 03:20 PM
if you want to go big, we have our house FS, and I can offer you 2 options

A) you buy a verry expensive tank with the site benefit that it comes with a 3200 sqft fish room around it that has bamboo flooring and a rental suit.

B) we can lock at options when we well the house, if the tank can come out !

the tank is in Langford, so only ashort drive to you!

Hi Kevin, what a kind offer! I think I'll have to pass though. There are a few problems with those scenarios:

A) we *just* moved in. The only way I'm leaving this place is in a box. :mrgreen:

B) I already have a 4500 ft2 fish room with wood floors and w/suite.

C) 350 g is bigger than I want. I'm thinking 250g + 80g (sump) + 50g (upstream fuge) + 50g (frag tank).

D) Husband just retired from glass business so I can get any/all custom tanks I want, glass or acrylic, for nothing.

and E) I like north island better. Quieter.

But thanks!

marie
05-15-2011, 05:26 PM
...... Went from Garden Zone 3 to Garden Zone 7! I love it here. Mild weather and small town feel.

I have plants surviving in my garden that are zone 9 ......banana trees and palm trees are common :D

D) Husband just retired from glass business so I can get any/all custom tanks I want, glass or acrylic, for nothing.....

We need to talk, would your husband like a little retirement money?........ I am wanting a large tank built

chandigz
05-15-2011, 11:47 PM
Welcome to the island.

christyf5
05-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Welcome!! I didn't realize you were an islander too:mrgreen:, awesome!!!!