PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get back into hobby. What's changed in 6 years?

Canadian Man
05-14-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow how this boards grown!
It's nice to still see some old school members.

I have been lurking and doing reading on the site. Lots of dreamy trips to my lfs. One of my other hobbies is RC airplanes and heli's and with that things have come down in cost huge over the past 5 to 10 years.

Has reef equipment come down in price?
Seems like there is much more selection in lighting and wave equipment (water moving equipment).
Are most people still building skimmers and calcium reactors?

My system used to consist of a 250g in wall tank with a 300 sq/ft room behind. 150g sump. 75g refugium. DIY skimmer and DIY reactor. Lighting was 2 250w iwasakis with t5 actinic. It was a sweet setup but I have since moved twice. I am bitten by the reef bug again. It would be a setup that is significantly smaller than my last one.

If there are any members that knew me from before say hi!

Thanks

Dez
05-14-2011, 02:38 PM
JONATHAN!!!!!

I just about fell off my chair when I saw your post. Welcome back man. I know how you feel after I came back from a 5 year hiatus. I'm using a lot of used equipment. Still using a beckett skimmer, however, not a lot of people are using becketts. I was using my old halides up until 2 months ago. I've given LEDs a shot.

What sort of size are you looking at. As with anything, you can go as complicated or as simple as you'd like.

One thing new is the Ultra Low Nutrient System (ULNS). People are using vodka, bio-pellets, etc to keep the nutrients close to nothing in the aquarium. I am using the Zeovit system. It was way over my head at first but then now it's simple once I understand it.

Good to see you back. Come visit sometime!

wayner
05-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Hey Jon:

Let me guess, you've been in Reef Re-Hab and are about to fall off the wagon :biggrin:

Nice to see you back.

Wayne

Dez
05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
BTW, I just bought my first RC heli 2 days ago. Caley got me a gift certificate for the hobby store just because and she might regret that later. Those thing have a steep learning curve for flying. Just tried it last night.

Another new thing in the hobby are the vortech style pumps. One have is outside of the tank which drives the propeller on the inside of the tank. I have never tried it personally but they're pretty cool.

Delphinus
05-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Visiting Aquarium of the Pacific will do that you :p Welcome back man.

I don't think prices have really much changed. Some things cost less, others more .. it probably evens out.

Some of the players have changed. Icecap out of business, Vortech a big player (but expensive) .. Tunzes still around but look a lot different than 5 years ago.

DIY doesn't seem to be as big as it used to be. Not sure what's up with that.

The hobby is still as aggravating and unrewarding as it's ever been, and still as addictive if not more so. Careful what doors you open! :p

Canadian Man
05-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey dez, Wayne and tony!

Dez we were just in Edmonton 2 weeks ago and I was thinking about you guys.

I would like to come see some current systems and setups.

As far as size goes I'm not sure. After having HUGE it's hard to go small.

I do have a large closet off my BR upstairs that I could build a 4ft to 6 ft ish tank into the wall. The room was supposed to be a laundry room so it's more of a room than it is a closet.

I could put an exhaust fan in that room for humidity control very easily.

Or I could keep it simple and get a nano. Don't think I can do that though.

As I said I need to see some of your guys systems now and do some research on the new tech.

Are LED's able to provide enough light?

Yea Tony. A visit to the aquarium topped it all off!

StirCrazy
05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
DIY doesn't seem to be as big as it used to be. Not sure what's up with that.

to many people with actual money getting into the hobby :mrgreen: also generaly speaking there are more people starting that want instant gratification and want water in the tank as fast as they can so hence buy not build.

Good to see ya again. I for one am still trying to build as much as I can as I don't have money to throw away yet :mrgreen:

Steve

StirCrazy
05-14-2011, 04:38 PM
1) As far as size goes I'm not sure. After having HUGE it's hard to go small.

2) Or I could keep it simple and get a nano. Don't think I can do that though.

3) Are LED's able to provide enough light?

1) I hear ya there, I have been wrestling with not going big, was planning for over 250 in a built in but the house I bought when I retired to Kamloops won't allow for that.

2) doesn't have to be simple, I decided on a 30 gal display with a 30 gal sump and it is going to be the most high tech/involved build I have done yet.

3) yes. but you have to watch what you get/build and how you build it. one advantage of a smaller tank (not nessasarly nano) is the cost of the LED fixture you can go broke easy with a bigger one.

Steve

ALang
05-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Welcome back.
Hope you're here to stay, fell off the wagon all right. Maybe after a couple of months of being on it again, you'll feel like we do: wanting to get out (what have I gotten myself into>again!??) but already costing us TOO much not to stay ON.
Good luck. Lenny.

muck
05-15-2011, 02:06 AM
Hey Jon... welcome back. Its been awhile for sure. :biggrin:

Canadian Man
05-15-2011, 03:17 AM
Thanks guys.

You think reef tanks are expensive. Last year my big helicopter had 4 crashes during the summer. Average fixing cost was $525 to $800 per crash. I guess I shouldn't say my helicopter had 4 crashes. I should say I crashed my big heli 4 times

RedCoralEdmonton
05-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Welcome Back! Well it seems you "crash" often...mabye a tank isnt the best thing right now...... lol just joking!!!! i couldnt resist....

Steve

Tarolisol
06-02-2011, 05:27 PM
WOW this is like a family reunion in this post.

Skimmerking
06-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Welcome back Jon good to see that your not a quitter, wasn't Tony starting his tank when you got out and so things has not changed tony is still SLOW

LOL

Canadian Man
06-03-2011, 05:37 AM
Yup. When I sold everything Tony just got the big tank. That was 2005!

Yo Sean! What are you up to nowadays?

The old school family reunion thread!

Tarolisol
06-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Not alot, my large tank turn into a fw tank its is just now becoming a planted fw tank, Ive got two 16" ish cubes but need some work. Ive been playing the tony game and taking my time (big plans with slow moving hands, haha)

AJ_77
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
JON you old dog, you. If you can afford helis, you can certainly afford a small(ish) tank again. (As if you can go small.... =)

You are still CANADIAN MAN!! You must DO SOMETHING!! :biggrin:

The hobby is still as aggravating and unrewarding as it's ever been, and still as addictive if not more so. Careful what doors you open! :p
Good to see Tony hasn't changed tho, hey? :mrgreen:

Cheers, man!