PDA

View Full Version : 2 NextReef MR1's feed by 1 pump questions?

The Grizz
05-14-2011, 03:39 AM
So I now have 2 MR1's, 1 is running Vertex pellets feed by a OR 2500 pump. The 2nd is going to be for ROX. My thought is to run them off the same pump into 1st reactor, then 2nd and return out to skimmer intake.

What should come 1st, carbon or pellets. My thoughts on this would be carbon 1st because of the mulm that comes off the pellets would plug up the carbon & foam pads in the reactor.

Am I on the right track here or do I need another pump for the carbon?

lastlight
05-14-2011, 03:42 AM
My thinking is if you have different compounds... heck even different amounts of the same compound... they'll require different flow to tumble ideally. I'm a big fan of seperate pumps but that's just my 0.02.

The Grizz
05-14-2011, 03:46 AM
That is a good thought process Brett, I have to restrict the OR 2500 with the pellets so maybe it might work with the pump at full power.:idea:

abcha0s
05-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Run them in parallel rather than in series. I run 4 reactors from one pump in parallel and they all have different flow rates.

- Brad

eli@fijireefrock.com
05-14-2011, 04:47 AM
I will have to agree with Brad \and to make easier place some kind of shutoff valves on the lines between the pump and the reactors.

The Grizz
05-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Good idea, glad I thought of it:lol:. Seriously I never even thought of that, pump to a tee with flow valve to each reactor. The pellets need more flow then the carbon so that would work sweet. I guess I am jumping on the Harley tomorrow and off to Princess Auto for fittings :biggrin:

Thanks guy for the helping ideas.

Big Tang
05-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Just make a manifold for them. One outlet with a couple of tees and a couple ball valves and your flow issue will be solved and then they don't need to run into one-another and they both run there own outlets. No need for two pumps if the one you have is big enough.

lastlight
05-14-2011, 05:35 AM
Maybe it was just my imagination but when I ran a manifold on my 225 turning one valve influenced pressure and flow through the others. I was always fiddling and trying to balance them.

The Grizz
05-14-2011, 05:45 AM
Maybe it was just my imagination but when I ran a manifold on my 225 turning one valve influenced pressure and flow through the others. I was always fiddling and trying to balance them.

That is usually what happens so I will have the pellets side full on and the carbon turned down enough so that it's not all just stuck to the top.