PDA

View Full Version : 700 gph pump

spawn
05-14-2011, 03:22 AM
I had a rio 2100 that was giving me 690 gph @ 1' & the impeller seems to have gone on it. Contrary to popular belief this pump worked awesome for me, it was quiet & contributed sfa for heat. I can't find one in town right now & am using a spare rsm thats only giving me about 600, not enough. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good comparable. Thx.:question:

Palmer
05-14-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm with you I love Rio pumps although I have mainly used them for freshwater. I have one I have been using since 1998 and other than replacing the impeller recently it works great. I think I got my replacement from Big Als Online. Once replacing the impeller it works like new again.

I use a Danner Mag 18 on my SW and I have found it equally dependable so far. I would buy a new Mag in a heartbeat.

Also I have no experience with them but everybody raves about eheim pumps.

nlreefguy
05-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I had a rio 2100 that was giving me 690 gph @ 1' & the impeller seems to have gone on it. Contrary to popular belief this pump worked awesome for me, it was quiet & contributed sfa for heat. I can't find one in town right now & am using a spare rsm thats only giving me about 600, not enough. Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good comparable. Thx.:question:

Eheims are awesome. Quiet, reliable, energy efficient. Replacing the impeller is costly but shouldn't need to do it anyway (mine is around 7 years old and still has original impeller). You'd prob need to get the 1262 though and the cost wil be up there compared to the Rio.

nlreefguy
05-14-2011, 03:30 PM
on the other hand, you could try the eheim compact+ 3000 model. I've never used them so I'm not sure if they're up to the same standard as the older eheims but if they are, they're an awesome value.

Palmer
05-14-2011, 03:32 PM
My understanding is all magnetic driven pumps eventually run the risk of needing to replace the impeller due to wear. I am not sure if some of it is loss of magnetism as well but I suspect thats partially true. My Rio lasted over 10 years before having to replace it. But I would agree you shouldnt have to replace it within a quite a few years if it is a decent pump.

spawn
05-14-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm with you I love Rio pumps although I have mainly used them for freshwater. I have one I have been using since 1998 and other than replacing the impeller recently it works great. I think I got my replacement from Big Als Online. Once replacing the impeller it works like new again.

I use a Danner Mag 18 on my SW and I have found it equally dependable so far. I would buy a new Mag in a heartbeat.

Also I have no experience with them but everybody raves about eheim pumps.
Was yours the 2100 as well? Mine was not even quite a year old, what cause the impeller to "GO" anyways it all looks fine & clean.

spawn
05-14-2011, 03:36 PM
on the other hand, you could try the eheim compact+ 3000 model. I've never used them so I'm not sure if they're up to the same standard as the older eheims but if they are, they're an awesome value.
thanks I'm gonna look at the recomendations.:)

Palmer
05-14-2011, 03:37 PM
No mine wasnt the 2100. If its only a year old and it was me I probably wouldnt replace and would get another brand out of spite :lol:

spawn
05-14-2011, 03:41 PM
The biggest issue the 90gph shortfall is causing is that with my ato setup, the amount of water that is drawn over the weir is not quite enough& the is a slight slick of D/O on the surface. & don't want any more flow caused by a return line. or heat

spawn
05-14-2011, 03:46 PM
No mine wasnt the 2100. If its only a year old and it was me I probably wouldnt replace and would get another brand out of spite :lol:
yeh me too:twised: I found 1 @ picies last night, it was a pond pump rated for 725, which is good, I'm just concerned about blowing the s**t out of the sand bed, or water over the brim at the front, it's the return line & can't be moved cause it's drilled. RSM 250. & I'm concerned about excessive heat with summer soon

Palmer
05-14-2011, 03:57 PM
yeh me too:twised: I found 1 @ picies last night, it was a pond pump rated for 725, which is good, I'm just concerned about blowing the s**t out of the sand bed, or water over the brim at the front, it's the return line & can't be moved cause it's drilled. RSM 250. & I'm concerned about excessive heat with summer soon

Just a thought on the excess flow. Can you get a ballvalve inline and restrict the flow slightly? Some sort of irrigation ball valve assuming you are using PVC tubing?