PDA

View Full Version : Goby Tank

Jewel
05-13-2011, 11:47 PM
I've been in the process of Building a 29 Bio-Cube, but this one is drilled and has a Sump,Skimmer and a few other extras, It's cycling as of yesterday. I was thinking of making it an all Goby tank since it is small and also it will be dedicated to Zoas and Mushrooms, It should be fun until I can get my dream tank set-up. I've had many tanks over the years and have decided on a big cube, That will have to wait for a bit. What do you guys and gals think, Gobies and more Gobies

bob the nano
05-14-2011, 02:37 AM
I think thats a great Idea! I love gobies.

naesco
05-14-2011, 05:23 AM
I've been in the process of Building a 29 Bio-Cube, but this one is drilled and has a Sump,Skimmer and a few other extras, It's cycling as of yesterday. I was thinking of making it an all Goby tank since it is small and also it will be dedicated to Zoas and Mushrooms, It should be fun until I can get my dream tank set-up. I've had many tanks over the years and have decided on a big cube, That will have to wait for a bit. What do you guys and gals think, Gobies and more Gobies

Here is a site that might be able to assist you you your choices.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/gobies.htm

IMO I would wait as long as you can before adding the fish. Almost all of them dwell on the bottom of the tank and will need a healthy supply of the little critters they eat.
You can turbo charge the sand by borrowing other reefers sand to inoculate your sand bed,
You can also buy another reefers healthy live rock and put it in when your water has aged quite a bit.
Sounds like a really interesting project.

Jewel
05-14-2011, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the link. I will wait until the tank cycles and is ready. My Rock has been in Quaranteen for 2 months in a food grade container,heater,circulating with out light. I bought the sand new, The Bio-cube has been drilled but my return goes through a one way valve then onto a 3/4 SCWD dual returns one on the surface and the other half way down the tank hence the one way valve, back compartments removed, A Vertex 80 in the sump with a 9.5 Mag return. My lighting is a single 150 MH pendant I may upgrade to 250 if I need more light but we'll see. I started a build thread and will post pics soon. My Gobie list so far is, Yellow Watchmen,Yellow Clown Goby, High Fin Goby, Those guys for sure, Any suggestion would be welcome and Thanks for your interest Jim

lee9
05-14-2011, 06:52 AM
I really like my Yellow Watchman Goby. If you are planning on pairing with a Pistol Shrimp I would highly recommend a coarser substrate. My Pistol shrimp renovates the bottom of my tank constantly and kicks up a lot of sand as my sand is quite fine.

How about the Green Clown Goby? I don't have one but I want one! Apparently they may nip at some SPS polyps though but that shouldn't be an issue for you by the sound of it.

toytech
05-15-2011, 04:11 AM
If your not dead set on gobies only , bennies would be a nice addition , all mine hang out at the top of the rockwork so they would fill some unused space , and the are fine with gobies .

Jewel
05-19-2011, 05:11 AM
I've been doing some research on Gobies and from what I've seen these little buggers are jumpers, Thats not good, my tank is open so I'm thinking maybe a Watchmen,Clown and Hifin and pistol shrimp.

Perhaps a Royalgramma and some Blood Shrimp.. But I'm not putting Clown fish in it, Their ok but If theres no Anenome in the tank, they'll harass everything else in the tank ( I mean Coral)

ProReef
05-19-2011, 08:03 PM
I couldn't agree more; I LOVE GOBIES-especially the nano little guys. I have quite a few in my 75 gallon and i am so in love with them, and they stay so small, they are super colorful and full of personality. And in your bio cube they will be happy in there for ever. Some great nano gobies i would suggest are:
1. Eviota pellicida (neon orange goby) great in groups
2. Trimma benjamini (Benji red-ring eye trimma goby) great in groups
3. Trimma rubromaculatus (red spot trimma Goby)great in groups and spawn easily in captivity
4. Trimma cana (Candy Cane trimma Goby) great in groups
5. Gobiosoma punticulatus (mexican red cap/head goby) only keep one.
6. Trimma striata (red stripe trimma goby) good in groups, will find individual spots-but no fighting
7. Gobiosoma multifasciatum (green banded goby) i only have one so i'm not sure-but so pretty with his red zorro mask
8. Stonogobiops yasha (Yasha shrimp goby) good in groups and with a pistol shrimp too especially candy stripe pistol Alpheus candy??? :)
9. (ORA Tiger goby) i have a couple, they bicker a bit but ok as they are
10. Discordipinna griessingeri (Griessenger's Prawn goby) very delicate and tiny but such a treat when i do see him.
11. Gobiosoma oceanops (Neon Bluestripe cleaner goby) i have a pair and they are so awesome together

All my little guys, nano/trimma gobies all eat a mixed diet: cyclopeeze, brine shrimp, small mysis, and New Life Spectrum has a small fish formula that ROCKS!!! All of them eat both frozen and the pellets too! Good luck with your goby collection, i hope this list proves helpful- included the most common common name's i'm familiar with and the latin names as well. Keep us posted on your goby tank. i look forward to follow your thread. Yippee little guys!
Cheers Ronnie:biggrin:

kevNnic
05-19-2011, 10:51 PM
sounds like a great idea! love gobys, but i do agree with someone else for all the swimming room you will have unless it is a really shallow tank.