PDA

View Full Version : FS: Purple People Eater Palys

injektion
05-13-2011, 10:30 PM
2 polyp frag of Purple People Eater Palys (and some blue clove polyps attached) for sale.

Saw them here recently going for $50 for 2 polyps so that's what I'm asking for.

$50 OBO

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/injektion2/DSCF1119.jpg

injektion
05-17-2011, 05:04 AM
a couple of people have asked me if it is red hair algae growing on the frag, and i do not believe it is. i think it's red slime algae, which is easier to believe because i do have a bit of a cyano problem. if you are worried that it will infest your tank, don't. i have given a lot of frags to my friend and he has not had any cyano growing in his tank ever (he's gonna hate me for jinxing him :lol:).

here's a picture that i just took of it looking clean but closed because the halides are off

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/injektion2/DSCF1132.jpg

gobytron
05-17-2011, 01:52 PM
in the first pic, that IS red hair algae...

Cyano looks nothing like that IMO.

Probably not a problem, but still might be an idea to adjust your price.

no_bs
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM

??

TorontoBound
05-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Do you have a clearer picture of when it is closed?

The only reason I ask is because any true People Eater type has the striation lines when it is closed and your photo is not clear.

If it is a PPE then your price ROCKS!!!
I just purchased a 3 polyp frag for $100 plus shipping!!!

gobytron
05-17-2011, 09:12 PM
??

For example...
did the last frag of PPE you saw for 50$ have hair algae as well?

If there is indeed a pest algae, especially hair algae which is a scourge, the price you have in comparison to a pest free frag should be lower no?

injektion
05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Do you have a clearer picture of when it is closed?

The only reason I ask is because any true People Eater type has the striation lines when it is closed and your photo is not clear.

If it is a PPE then your price ROCKS!!!
I just purchased a 3 polyp frag for $100 plus shipping!!!

i tried taking a clearer picture of it but my camera isn't good enough i guess. i thought the green mouths were an indicator of them being people eaters? i didn't know about the striation lines being an indicator so thanks for that! i'll keep an eye out for it!

in the first pic, that IS red hair algae...

Cyano looks nothing like that IMO.

ok well i'm not saying that it isn't, i'm just saying that in my opinion it is not because i have seen red hair algae and what i have does not look like it. i know i have cyano and i have noticed it progressing into what it looks like now, hence my assumption that it is cyano, and not hair algae. besides, this thread wasn't made to dispute what type of algae it is.

i don't see why i need to adjust the price. i'm not going to lower the price just because there was some algae on the frag that can be easily cleared off and has been since the first picture was taken. if you don't like the price that's fine, make a better offer. but you don't seem to have any intention of buying it nor have you contacted me about it prior to posting your message. i have noticed that you troll about in other posts as well commenting on your opinion of prices, and i think i can speak for everyone who has received one of these replies from you that it is unnecessary and unwanted. again, if you don't like the price, make an offer. if you simply don't agree with it, then either leave me a pm about your opinion, or don't spam threads with unnecessary posts. forgive me if i am wrong with my implication, but it is how i remember your user name.

and before you think of me as stubborn or shortsighted, i do realize the price seems a little steep, but as i said, it is what i saw it being sold for in a previous thread so i am seeing if there is any interest, but i am also entertaining offers, as per the "OBO" part. a temporary problem with algae does not cause the asking prices to drop in any circumstances, and so it won't in this one.

parkinsn
05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
For example...
did the last frag of PPE you saw for 50$ have hair algae as well?

If there is indeed a pest algae, especially hair algae which is a scourge, the price you have in comparison to a pest free frag should be lower no?

Some people have tangs and other such algae eating fish etc that would clean this up no problem. If your not willing to pay $50 thats up to you. Or offer him less in a pm and see if he will do it. However someone thats not concerned about it may pay $50 no problem for it.....

Chowder
05-17-2011, 09:43 PM
$25 a polyp is the asking price on these around town. I have never seen them cheaper just more expensive. Average price back east I believe is $40 to $50 a polyp.

Chris

dunl
05-17-2011, 10:56 PM

I assume you are adjusting your price as well?

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75569

:D

Zoaelite
05-18-2011, 03:01 AM
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1641/ppeu.jpg (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/ppeu.jpg/)
*Cough*

If you just removed all the clove polyp/ hair algae I would hold onto it for a few weeks, a tank transfer might kill it.

TorontoBound
05-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Any true people eater must show the striation lines when the polyp is closed and has a fluorescent green mouth.

It must have both feature to be people eater.

I have some palys that have the fluorescent mouth but no lines hence they are not people eaters.

Also the algae on the frag should not be a big deal and if it is just dip it in peroxide mix and that should destroy all the algae on the plug.

You coral wont be happy but it should return to its former glory in about 3 days.

dunl
05-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Also the algae on the frag should not be a big deal and if it is just dip it in peroxide mix and that should destroy all the algae on the plug.

You coral wont be happy but it should return to its former glory in about 3 days.

Neat trick...will have to remember that one.

gobytron
05-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Any true people eater must show the striation lines when the polyp is closed and has a fluorescent green mouth.

It must have both feature to be people eater.

I have some palys that have the fluorescent mouth but no lines hence they are not people eaters.

Risky for 25$/Polyp no?
Especially for the inexperienced...

TorontoBound
05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I think any coral for any price is risky for inexperienced reefers.

The best thing is to ensure your water parameters are in check and that you dip and quarantine any coral before introducing it to your aquarium. Also it is best to start from the bottom and then work your way up your aquascape to find the best placement.

As for the Peroxide trick there are videos on you tube so that you can see for yourself the results before you try yourself.

injektion
05-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Risky for 25$/Polyp no?
Especially for the inexperienced...

i'm not only catering to the inexperienced. besides i would highly doubt any inexperienced hobbyist would consider $25/polyp anyway.

every coral has its risk, experienced or not. when i got these PPE they had clove polyps all around as well, and i took the risk of the cloves taking over the palys and my whole tank. when i buy live rock, i'm taking a risk that there may be mantis shrimp, gorilla crabs or any other unwanted pests. when i buy a fish, i'm taking a risk that it may be diseased or that it won't eat. your tank may be compromised without your knowledge, and it could crack or break at any moment, that is a risk. if you're not for taking the risk to get something you want, you should not be in this hobby.

face it, this hobby is an expensive one. most of the rarer frags are going to be $25+ per polyp, and PPE are ones i don't see very often on boards and in stores, hence the expensive price. if no one buys it i'm totally fine with that. i'll enjoy having it in my tank. i'm not trying to get rid of it because there's something wrong with it.

i don't see why you're taking this so personally. if you're not gonna say something productive, don't say it.

parkinsn
05-18-2011, 07:37 PM
i don't see why you're taking this so personally. if you're not gonna say something productive, don't say it.

+1 I think he was refering to the peroxide though, not the PPE's

@ Gobytron

Leave the OP to sell his coral with what ever comes with it for whatever price he wants and leave this thread for for what it originally was. A sale not a debate. Clearly you dont think its a good deal, so dont buy it.

Aquattro
05-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Guys, this is a buy/sell transaction. Buy or don't. If you want to discuss the topic of removing items from frag plugs, please start your own thread. Thx.