PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

mikeo2
05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Hi all,

Fantastic site. Im a complete newby to saltwater aquariums and want to start one but do not know where to start. Whats a decent starter size for saltwater just to have a few colourful fish to start to see if its for me and then upgrade in the future. Whats it going to cost for a rough startup to get one going? I have some freshwater experience but like I said, this saltwater stuff is new to me so any advice would be very much appreciated.

imcosmokramer
05-13-2011, 08:05 PM
wow...that's really open-ended. How much room do you have and how much money do you have :)

Certainly, the setup for a FOWLR is much different than a full blown reef. You'll have to weigh the cost of re-purchasing (better lights, filtration, flow, etc) if you want to upgrade

mikeo2
05-13-2011, 08:09 PM
haha I guess that is kind of open ended. I have plenty of room but dont want to break the bank on my first attempt at this saltwater stuff, I know its fairly expensive in general but just dont want to be dropping like 2 or 3000 to start if possible.

imcosmokramer
05-13-2011, 08:16 PM
ok, could you give me a "reasonable" size for you to start with? also, I would buy stuff used!

toytech
05-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Get a used 50 gal long (48 inches ) run a 4 or 6 bulb t5 unit , you can do without a sump and skimmer if you keep the fish list short or have small fish . Wrasses are great , gobys and blennies have tons of personality .This is what im running right now , was my first tank and have had it for 5 years now . With the t5s you can have all kinds of corals zoas , softies and lps . Just troll the equipment section and get everything used and you should be able to have a good tank for about a grand or less.

Sea Witch
05-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Mike, you could even go a little smaller, like 20-30g. Then if you decide you like the hobby and want to upgrade, you can use that tank for a hospital or quarantine tank or a separate refugium. You'd save a little money, but not a whole lot because you still need almost all of the same equipment, just smaller versions. Lights would be cheaper. And post lots of pics so the rest of us can watch and learn. :mrgreen: