PDA

View Full Version : Flat worm toxins/bad day at daycare

mark0933
05-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Well, yesterday was a terrible day by all accounts. A hose clamp on my son's daycare tank (110G) let go and dumped 100G of water (total system was 110) all over the foyer - so 6:30AM get a phonecall for help (I set up and help maintain the tank) - to top it off, their annual meeting was last night so had to act fast.

I replaced the clamp, got water from my sump at home enough to refill it (4 hours of running back and forth from home to daycare with 15 gallons of water per trip) and things were looking OK - fish were ****ed off, but doing OK.

Last night at the meeting I noticed the chromis had passed away and the flame angel was not happy. The clowns were fine and the other fish were "hiding" - I went home and got my testing supplies, no ammonia, no temp issues, salinity was acceptible so I fished out the chromis, then noticed the flame was dead, and also found the yellow tang, and the dottyback both dead - only survivors were the clowns.

I was puzzled but chalked it up to stress (still not happy with the outcome) - but this morning I had an idea - the tank had a pretty bad outbeak of red flatworms - I bet a lot of them died from being out of water for anywhere from 1 - 3 hours, and after filing the tank with new water they would have released their toxins into the water. What do you folks think?

Next question is that since I am down to just the clowns, should I go ahead and use flat worm exit on the remaining flatworms? And will the toxins be converted by bacteria in the tank or is another 100% WC needed?

What do you all think?

Mark

fishytime
05-12-2011, 01:54 PM
Eeeek .....sorry to hear.....Personally, I wouldn't do the flatworm treatment yet..... I would let the tank settle down from the flood incident and make sure things are good before I cause the tank another minor trauma..... But I tend to be over cautious about things

gobytron
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM
You're better off adding a wrasse, now that you have some extra bio capacity IME.

Aquaria
05-12-2011, 03:58 PM
You're better off adding a wrasse, now that you have some extra bio capacity IME.

+1 although iv had REALLY good odds with 6lines eating pests but since it's a bigger tank I think yellow wrasses are known pest eaters as well

cathyg_99
05-12-2011, 09:45 PM
that sucks... but how could you loose almost all of your water??

mark0933
05-12-2011, 09:51 PM

Poor design on a closed loop system - pump could not be hard plumbed, so had to use a short piece of flex hose and a hose clamp - and guess what corroded and let go...

Mark

mark0933
05-12-2011, 09:55 PM

Poor design on a closed loop system - pump could not be hard plumbed, so had to use a short piece of flex hose and a hose clamp - and guess what corroded and let go...

Here is a pic - the system works great for circulation but I wish it was all hard plumbed. (no hose clamp in the pic as this was just dry fitting)http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m75/mark0933/P1010069.jpg

Mark

imcosmokramer
05-13-2011, 02:50 AM
Really sorry to hear.

step 1. run a lot of carbon ASAP. That will clear the toxin from the system. After 24 hours, throw the carbon away, and replace with normal amount. Not sure if you see dead FW floating, if you do, try to siphon them out as best as you can.

Step 2. Wait a week and do Flatworm Exit treatment, again, with carbon section.

if you want to be really careful, you can run another treatment after a week.

PM me with any questions.
________
Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

PoonTang
05-13-2011, 04:55 AM
If the clowns are the only thing left then why not just pull them out and re home them for a bit? It would give you ample time to Nuke the FW's or what ever and allow the tank to settle and restabilize.

imcosmokramer
05-13-2011, 01:38 PM
If the clowns are the only thing left then why not just pull them out and re home them for a bit? It would give you ample time to Nuke the FW's or what ever and allow the tank to settle and restabilize.

well....it's never "only the clowns", you have to take into account all the life that is actually in the tank (pods, etc). Although you can re-introduce later on, it's a good idea to save what you can
________
CountlessCum (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/CountlessCum/)

gobytron
05-13-2011, 01:58 PM
I used to have a serious flatworm problem in my 95...
they were literally everywhere, covering corals in some cases.

I added another 3000gph tunze pw and over the course of a month, there was virtually no sign of any.

They thrive in lower currents and can't seem to maintan a population with greater flow.

Anyone out there who can back this up?