PDA

View Full Version : Cyano....whats up with that???

DOMINATOR
05-10-2011, 10:50 PM
How bad is it? should i be concerned? Im assuming its cyano( looks like the velvet on a deers antlers in spring) dark wine red color.....

skabooya
05-10-2011, 10:59 PM
sounds like cyano. I have it. It can spread like wildfire if conditions are right. manual removal, low trates, good flow and blackouts are common remidies. I still have some but its getting better since i replaced my bulbs.

DOMINATOR
05-10-2011, 11:09 PM
my bulbs are brand new and i have great flow......what do you mean by blackouts???

bryceschutte
05-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Blackout = 3 days 0 light. cover it if possible. Works great.

C2Sky
05-11-2011, 12:38 AM
I have had excellent results using the vodka method. Disappeared within two weeks...

monocus
05-11-2011, 01:08 AM
use coral snow-also watch what salt you are using.when i was using h2ocean my cyano bloomed everywhere

Madreefer
05-11-2011, 01:24 AM
It's normal for a new tank. Follow others suggestion and keep up on regular waterchanges and maybe cut back on your feeding.

DOMINATOR
05-11-2011, 01:44 AM
You guys rock!!! What the heck is vodka dosing?? Sounds yummy:lol:

mattdean
05-11-2011, 02:41 AM
use coral snow-also watch what salt you are using.when i was using h2ocean my cyano bloomed everywhere

I never had cyano with H2Ocean. Actually, I've never had ANY problems with that salt. Are you sure it was the salt? Could be many things.

viperfish
05-11-2011, 02:51 AM

I don't think there's a salt out there that will cause a cyano bloom. You should be looking at the other conditions in the tank. Also be careful with starting vodka dosing with cyano present, lots have done it and caused an uncontrollable bloom (cyano is a bacteria and feeds on carbon based additives).

Frankly Canadian
05-11-2011, 03:00 AM
I had Cyano really bad the redish black stringy kind you are describing and I walked into Red Coral in Calgary and talked to Kevin & Doug, problem solved! First thing I did was water flow Doug calculated what my water flow should be for my 75g tank and wow was I ever short of that, so I bought some power heads and increased water flow by 3,000g/hr Second thing I did was I bought some Coral Snow and I've been using it ever since. Third thing I did was changed the food I was feeding my fish, now I use Phylankton, which has virtually no phosphates. Fourth thing I did was increased my water changes to between 5% & 10% every week. Fifth thing I did was bought two Sand Sifting Yellowheaded Golbies, and they do wonders in keeping the sand clean.
Anyways I wouldn't advise doing the blackout thing because I did it and ya it worked ok for a few weeks but it always came back. I also tried Red Slime by Chemiclean and it also worked for a few weeks, (closer to a month) but it always came back. Myka has a great article on this web site that deals with problem algae’s and cyano, the causes and how to get rid of it. Good luck! Again I haven't had any return for over a year now.

Madreefer
05-11-2011, 03:18 AM
If your LFS tries to get you to buy any sand sifters at all don't be tempted to do it. Your tank is not established yet and what ever you put in will die of starvation.

Frankly Canadian
05-12-2011, 12:34 AM
The Sand Sifting Golbies was my idea not anyone from any store, however they have been doing great and are little piggies when it come to dinner time. Maybe for someone that is at the height of thier cyano outbreak I would agree with you, but in my case anyways they dug up sand from everywhere especially around all my rocks and if there where any lingering small spots of cyano they sure disappeared fast and that was almost a year ago. Incidently it took probably four months maybe more to get rid of my cyano outbreak.

MKLKT
05-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Essentially you want to curb the cause of cyano and it'll clear it up quite promptly, same goes for a lot of algae and imbalances in the tanks. Why bandage when you can stop the injury from happening again? :)