PDA

View Full Version : Abnormal Pulsing Xenia?

Kit with Cat
05-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone! I just recently entered the hobby and have been looking for an answer but haven't found it yet so am hoping to pick all of your reef brains about this.

Recently had the pleasure of getting some nice pulsing xenias from Blue World Aquatics (who are super awesome, Taylor and Lyndsy you guys rock!) but they fell off of the rock and landed "face first" into the sand and had been there for about 8-10 hours.

One of them I stuck back on to the rock by impaling its base with a toothpick and that xenia seemed to behave strangely after, so I got another xenia from BWA again.

Again, it accidentally fell face first into the sand, and having had a poor experience with the first, I glued it back onto the rock and elastic banded it so it would stay.

Now both Xenias are open, but instead of closing all of their "fingers" at the same time, it closes it one at a time. Is that weird? or is that normal and they are just on their way to recovery? Prior to falling face first into the sand, the xenias behaved just like they did when I saw them at the store, which is they open and close normally like every other youtube video of pulsing xenias. They aren't shrivelled up, rather they are really long and extended, but don't "pulse", but just wave around movine one finger at a time.

Anyone have any experience?

My tank is 2 months old, 90G, two clowns, one regal blue tang, two cleaner shrimps, 14 Snails, 10 Hermit crabs, 5G refugium with Chaeto, 1 Rena XP3 Filter rated for 90G, 1 Eheim classic 2215 Filter rated for 90G, Protein Skimmer (can't remember what brand.maybe remora?), 90 pounds of live rock, 1.5 inch of sand bed
0 Nitrates, 0 Nitrites, 0 Ammonia
All other corals (green button polyp, green star polyp, assorted zoos, frogspawn, hammer, leather, rick) are doing really well.

Thanks in advance!

mexxedm
09-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I had the same issue. I bought at the same store. It closed up, opened, then closed up. Non of the fingers were moving. One day, It shrunk. I touch it, it was all rotten. It is coral for beginner but might be hard to take care of.

Kit with Cat
09-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm happy to report that my tanks is now overrun with the pulsing xenia haha! It just took it a long time to recover, but once it did, OMFG.

Abe
09-27-2011, 11:57 PM
are you fraging anytime soon :)

cwatkins
09-28-2011, 12:27 AM
If I recall correctly, the levels of iodine in your tank can affect how they pulse as well.

So sometimes you may notice they pulse more "in-sync" after a water change or after you dose essential elements, etc.

Kit with Cat
09-28-2011, 05:13 AM
Hey Abe,
Yah just PM me as to when you want a frag, I usually just cut one of the pulsing xenias at the stalk, and throw it to the bottom of the tank. It attaches itself to a bit of sand, and then that sand serves as a bit of weight. After that, its pretty easy to place the xenia anywhere. Just PM me when you are ready, and I'll make one for you!

Oilers
09-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Hi,
Are you selling your xenia frag or giving it away for free?

Kit with Cat
09-28-2011, 06:02 AM
I don't mind giving it away for free! As long as I have some to give hahah..but if you can trade me some frags that would be greatly appreciated too!

Oilers
09-28-2011, 06:09 AM
I am just setting up my tank recently so I don't have much. I do have some hard coral frags that I can trade for your xenia. Let me know if you wanna give it away or trade, we can work something out. Cheers.