PDA

View Full Version : Carbon & HLLE

Lance
05-09-2011, 06:30 PM
For years it's been suggested that carbon use in the aquarium may lead to HLLE. Well, apparently researchers have now proven it. Here's the link to the article in Coral Magazine.

www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/activated-carbon-hlle-smoking-gun-found

rstar
05-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Facinating! I don't think this will cause aquarists to stop using carbon in home systems, but i do think it will cause a change in the quality and perhaps the use of carbon as a primary method of filtration.

Madreefer
05-09-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm not doubting the researchers, I read that article as well. Kind of confusing but no carbon in my very first tank setup and my fish had HLLE. Peoples tanks that i've seen that also don't run carbon are the only tanks that I have seen fish with HLLE. I'm still going to use it.

Lance
05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I've always used the ROX and/or Kent carbons, which are supposedly higher-grade. I've never had a problem with HLLE but I will definitely cut back on the amount of carbon I use, and be sure the reactor is not running with too much flow.

mattdean
05-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I believe the problem stems from not rinsing the carbon well enough. There has been mention of the "dust" being the possible cause, along with the "type" or quality.

Doug
05-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I agree with the dust principle. Said that in the early '90,s. Had several discussions with an American biologist/writer. My results from first hand experience with a certain carbon were the exact same as his with our mature sailfin tangs.

I have never seen a problem with a carbon like Black Diamond however. Never used the stuff you guys mentioned.

Milad
05-09-2011, 11:28 PM
ROX is the ultimate carbon as my previous thread suggested

Doug
05-10-2011, 01:01 PM
ROX is the ultimate carbon as my previous thread suggested

In some opinions.

Raf
05-10-2011, 04:16 PM
that black diamond brand is very dusty....and the API carbon replacement packs are the worst! Rinse Rinse Rinse!

lastlight
05-10-2011, 04:21 PM
I haven't yet used a carbon with as few fines as the ROX. I tap rinse for like 2 - 3 seconds and it's crystal clear coming out of my TLF.

Doug
05-11-2011, 12:33 AM
BD is not close to being as bad as the carbon we had problems with. I may try the Rox, once I use up the 5g or so I have already.