PDA

View Full Version : Dump your old carbon and go get this...

Milad
05-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Ok a few months ago I was reading a thread about what carbon people are using. Everyone kept raving about this ROX stuff bulk reef supply sales. Well I put it on my list to get, but I wasnt buying the hype.

Well finally I got some, I put it in, went out, came back and as I was walking by my tank I did a double take because it is so crystal clear. Its similar to doing Coral Snow. This is insane!! Dont waste your money on any other carbon!

The Grizz
05-09-2011, 05:07 AM
Sweet, I have a big container of it on the way as well as a new MR1 reactor to run it in. Look forward to see how it works for my so so none SPS reef.

Lance
05-09-2011, 05:37 AM
Yup, i agree with you. I've been using the ROX for years and wouldn't think of changing brands.

Tracey2
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
I hope I can ask here, how are you guys running your carbon, how much per gallon of water. I have some in a bag in a small reactor but it doesn't seem to do much, its not the rox brand and maybe the fact that it is in a bag instead of tumbling? Also I was consider adding ozone to my tank and was told running carbon properly is just as good, any thoughts.

Thanks for the tip on the rox, I am ordering from there this week.

phi delt reefer
05-09-2011, 11:41 AM
I hope I can ask here, how are you guys running your carbon, how much per gallon of water. I have some in a bag in a small reactor but it doesn't seem to do much, its not the rox brand and maybe the fact that it is in a bag instead of tumbling? Also I was consider adding ozone to my tank and was told running carbon properly is just as good, any thoughts.

Thanks for the tip on the rox, I am ordering from there this week.

here is a link to BRS bulk chemicals calculator - input your tank specs at the top then scroll down to the CARBON section and pick ROX and it will tell you how much to you use. BRS bases their recommended amount for bi-weekly usage - they recommend using less and swaping it out every two weeks vs. loading your reactor to the brim and leaving it there for a few months.

Tracey2
05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks phi, sounds like a good suggestion, I find my gfo tends to clump and stick to the to of the reactor, maybe I should use less there too and change more often.

Lance
05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Hey all, be careful not to tumble the carbon too aggressively: Apparently there is now new data confirming carbon use to HLLE. (Read this in the new CORAL magazine.) The article states that if you do use carbon to use it sparingly, rinse it well before using and to keep the carbon particles from constantly hitting each other.

southerner2
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I use an old ehiem cartridge style filter that I had. It's submersible and it hangs out in the sump. I change it out every month and am happy with it.

naesco
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
You also have to be very carefull not to burn your coral.

If the water is yellowish. (You can test it by putting a while card in the water to see how yellow) and the carbon is very efficient quickly, the much brighter lighting can burn your coral. So, go slowly.

Milad
05-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Well i walked by the tank again and did a double take this morning. This has to be the best thing Ive done to the tank since the auto top off. Seriously i don't rave about products but damn this is nuts.

Midway
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I would like to give this a shot. Where can order this ROX stuff from?

gobytron
05-09-2011, 08:46 PM
If you reread the op...you will have your answer (hint:Bulk reef supply)

Midway
05-09-2011, 09:35 PM
yeah I read that, that's what I thought Bulk reef supply...lol

thanks though.

Manny

strickrick
05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
CACO3REEF has it for sale now too and its free shipping within Canada. Have a look: http://caco3reef.com/activated-carbon

DiverDude
05-09-2011, 10:46 PM
Somebody correct me if this isn't right but my understanding is that ROX is a more porous carbon and does a better job (per unit volume) of absorbing impurities than other forms of carbon.

That said, if you use a larger amount (and/or perhaps over a longer period of time) of an inferior grade of carbon, you should still be able to achieve the same results.

In other words, it's just more efficient.

Milad
05-09-2011, 11:35 PM
the caco3reef stuff i think its a bit different, mine says .8 not 1.3. Might just be the size. The .8 is really really really small, you need a BRS reactor or something similar.

I was filling the BRS reactor with the kent carbon and I followed the instructions for this ROX and only put 1.5 cups of it into the reactor. I probably put about 6 cups of the other carbon into the BRS reactor so it must be much more efficient.