PDA

View Full Version : Starter Corals

Marcus K
01-16-2004, 12:30 AM
I am interested in getting into Corals and was wondering what are some good starters for a beginner. My tank has been up for almost a year as a FOWLR. My goal would be to get into some Clams eventually. I have added a Yellow Polyp frag sofar that is doing well. I am interested in the Zoos listed on CanadianReef.com. Would these be a good started into the world of Corals? My lighting consists of four 55watt PC(three 50/50 and one 10K) soon to be upgrading to MH 250W 10K. The tank is a 90gal with a ammiracle sump running bioballs and a insump Seaclone skimmer. I have about twenty pounds of lava and ten pounds of Live Rock( ten bucks a pound locally :mad: ). Other than that I run a UV sterilizer all the time. I have a Yellow Tang, four Green Chromis, Diadema Dotty, False Percula, Maroon Clown, Cleaner Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Hermit Crabs, Turbo's, Bumble Bee's, Astrea's,Ceriths, and a large Feather Duster. Will I have to use additives, if so what is recommended? Thanks for your time, I hope I have supplied enough info. Thanks

Marcus

EmilyB
01-16-2004, 02:25 AM
I am interested in getting into Corals and was wondering what are some good starters for a beginner. My tank has been up for almost a year as a FOWLR. My goal would be to get into some Clams eventually. I have added a Yellow Polyp frag sofar that is doing well. I am interested in the Zoos listed on CanadianReef.com. Would these be a good started into the world of Corals? My lighting consists of four 55watt PC(three 50/50 and one 10K) soon to be upgrading to MH 250W 10K. The tank is a 90gal with a ammiracle sump running bioballs and a insump Seaclone skimmer. I have about twenty pounds of lava and ten pounds of Live Rock( ten bucks a pound locally :mad: ). Other than that I run a UV sterilizer all the time. I have a Yellow Tang, four Green Chromis, Diadema Dotty, False Percula, Maroon Clown, Cleaner Shrimp, Peppermint Shrimp, Hermit Crabs, Turbo's, Bumble Bee's, Astrea's,Ceriths, and a large Feather Duster. Will I have to use additives, if so what is recommended? Thanks for your time, I hope I have supplied enough info. Thanks

Marcus

Zoos are great, but some of them can be picky too. If I were you, I would look to increasing your live rock, and getting a better skimmer.

There are lots of corals that can do well with varying light levels. Try leathers, mushrooms, green star polyps to begin with.

Regular water changes can do wonders for the additives you mention. The bottled additives are largely snake oil.

Doing your Ca and Alk tests will help you eventually arrive at clams down the road. AT that point, or sooner, you might consider two part Ca/Alk additions or a reactor.

PS, ditch the bumblebees, they are carnivores.. :biggrin:

Hopefully you don't use Regina tapwater...... :eek: :eek: :razz:

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 02:53 AM
Marcus, I've heard.. that lava rock can be heavy in Iron, just something to keep in mind. You may be best to ditch the lava rock and buy a box or two of base rock from J&L, it will colonize fairly well. With that base rock and the live rock you've got, get some pods etc from the LFS and you'll be well on your way.
Starter corals, well, I'd say colt corals, Xenia, Anthellia, some of the leathers. Your lighting plan sounds great, those 250s will be nice for the clams, I just heard that the bumble bees aren't reef safe from Jack, I didn't know that so like Emily says, ... ditch em.
Additives, I like Kent and Seachem but, some people don't, it's a personal taste thing I think. I'd not add additives just because someone tells you to though, test your water often, until you've got lots of hard corals you're Ca Alk shouldn't change alot. If you do find your Ca and Alk are being used up I like the Kent Liquid reactor, it's a single bottle two part and it works well and is easy to use.

Doug

Quinn
01-16-2004, 03:34 AM
I did a bit of research on these mysterious snails. Apparently the animal is listed under two names, it appears the first is correct: Engina mendicaria and Pusiostoma mendicaria. The WWM crew refer to them as strictly carnivorous - whether this means they are scavengers or true predators I am unsure. However, I did find an article in The Journal of Zoology referring to the prey of Engina armillata (Gastropoda: Buccinidae) being polychaetes, that is, worms [1]. Perhaps it is safe to say they may be a risk in a reef tank, compromising one's sand bed and the microfauna that populate it. It is unfortunate that so many retailers list them as reef-safe.

[1] http://journals.cambridge.org/bin/bladerunner?REQUNIQ=1074227801&REQSESS=92872&118000REQEVENT=&REQINT1=41005&REQAUTH=0

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 03:55 AM
I know of ONE local retailer that is advertising them as
"A striking addition to your invertebrate clean up crew.

These snails are small (1/2") detritus eaters. Although they will climb on your rock and aquarium glass, they prefer to stay in the sand bed and scavenge for left over waste that was missed by other custodian members.

We recommend adding approximately 1-2 Bumble Bee Snails for every 2 gallons of aquarium volume. "

That's being recommended as part of a reef clean up crew.

Doug

Quinn
01-16-2004, 04:35 AM
Yup, I'm familiar with that one. A few of the big American online retailers also list them as reef-safe.

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 04:40 AM
as does almost everyone with Blue legged hermit crabs.

Doug

Quinn
01-16-2004, 04:44 AM
It's the scarlets that are supposed to be the safest right? Not that any crab ever comes with a guarantee...

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Quinn, I've got a scarlet and I haven't had any issues with it, it even leaves my snails alone.

Doug

Marcus K
01-16-2004, 06:19 AM
Thanks for all the great advice everyone. The Bumble Bees spend most of thier time on the rocks eating. One of them had a white cocoon like thing on its but for the longest time which I ignored for some reason. Yesterday I was trying a RedSea skimmer that was lent to me with the option to purchase if I liked it with poor results so I reinstalled my Seaclone and notice three of the white cocoon like things stuck to the inside of the skimmer tube.
As for the lava rock I have heard that it is not the best thing to have, possible high in silicates. I do plan on changing but Live Rock is 10bucks locally. I have not looked into J&L's base rock which might be worth while.
For water I do not use local water, I have been getting water from Safeway out of the Culligan machine. I have a RO/DI on wish list for next X-mass.

I will see if anyone wants my bumble bees, too bad they are not worth a Aqua C skimmer in trade.

Thanks again.

Marcus

Samw
01-16-2004, 06:36 AM
PS, ditch the bumblebees, they are carnivores.. :biggrin:

OK, but what is a slow snail going to catch? :lol: I've got about 6 of them in my tank. They do go after the dead things. I like them. They're neat and colorful. Rather have them than those bristleworm things.

Doug
01-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Marcus,

Jayson also brings in lots of various kinds of live rock. I just took him a whack of soft corals. To bad I never knew you were looking.

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Sam, I was told that they'll just as likely eat your coral as anything else.

Doug

Quinn
01-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Sam as noted I expect the bumble bees go after microfauna. I think someone found out they are carnivores and figured that meant fish. Obviously they aren't going to catch a fish but perhaps critters on one's rocks and in one's DSB.

Delphinus
01-16-2004, 03:27 PM
I don't know about bumblebee snails in particular (i.e., what they might go after) but sometimes "other snails" (e.g. astrea turbo cerith etc.) may be at risk to a predatory snail.

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Interesting point Tony, I never thought about other snails.

Doug

Marcus K
01-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Maybe next time Doug, I am trying to get out to see Jayson in the next couple of mounths. I will let you and Mike know and maybe would could get together if it works for all of us. I was really close to buying Mikes 280 but I found out shortly after that my Truck lease was up. Its not easy comming up with $6K in 15 days :redface: . So as you can guess I was unable to buy my dream tank.

Thanks everyone.

Marcus

BCOrchidGuy
01-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Wow, yeah I'm just realing from a suprise $1500 bill, a $6k would genuinly suck.
Lots of things get delayed, don't worry about it.

Doug

Doug
01-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Look forward to that Marcus. To bad you could not get Mikes tank.

Marcus K
01-17-2004, 03:13 AM
A deal like that does not come buy everyday. Cowtown is one of the only large tank retail stores here in Regina. None of which are drilled, they have a 275gal that is around $1500 with out the stand. I think that Regina has about 25 Saltwater hobbiests, ten club members attended our first meeting that was just the other night. Maybe we can get the local stores to start carrying the items that we have to order online.

Shy_Koi
01-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Jayson also brings in lots of various kinds of live rock. I just took him a whack of soft corals.

I *finally* got to the city to visit SWC, the day after you, Doug :biggrin:
My first time to a (salt) LFS and I was in awe....
Jayson was very helpful and patient despite being in the middle of major repairs to the store.
I plan on going back in a couple of weeks, to pick up a tank (couldn't talk my friend into transporting a 65 gal in the back of her 4x4 that day :rolleyes: )

~Tamara
(sorry Marcus, for hijacking your thread!)

Doug
01-17-2004, 04:50 PM
Tamara, to bad we missed each other. Sure doing lots of renos there. Are you getting one of the factory 65g tanks on the side wall?

Shy_Koi
01-17-2004, 05:28 PM
Tamara, to bad we missed each other. Sure doing lots of renos there. Are you getting one of the factory 65g tanks on the side wall?

Doug, I'm sorry I missed you too!
Yes, re: the 65 g - I only have space for 36" of tank...
Only thing is - I've not yet told DH of my plans for another tank, lol.
He's up north working for MB Hydro, so I figure if I can get the stand built and the tank installed before he gets home, there's nothing he can do :mrgreen:
Anyone else's wife, as devious as moi?
~Tamara