PDA

View Full Version : Frogfish and golden dwarf eel as tankmates?

Delphinus
05-09-2011, 12:46 AM
... bad idea?

I kind of get the impression they'd probably just ignore each other but .. I dunno.

Hypothetical tank they'd be in, for what it's worth, is a 65g FOWLR and at this point there appear to be no other tank mates slated to go in with them for the time being.

TimT
05-09-2011, 01:02 AM
mmm Spaghetti says the frogfish??? I once had a frogfish try and eat a lionfish the same size.

Delphinus
05-09-2011, 01:24 AM
:lol: Okey doke, guess that was a short-lived fantasy ... haha.

chandigz
05-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I have a 1 1/2" frogfish with my 10" golden dwarf. He only ate a 3" midas blenny and a 3 1/2" mystery wrasse so far. Thought he was going to explode both times.

TimT
05-09-2011, 02:32 AM
It gets disgusting when you see the fish still struggling inside the frogfish.

fishoholic
05-09-2011, 02:49 AM
I can't see the frogfish being able to fully eat the eel, but he might try and end up taking a chuck out of the eel. Not a chance I'd take, even though there is also a possibility they might ignore one another. Hard to say for sure........

christyf5
05-09-2011, 03:07 AM
snackycakes :mrgreen:

naesco
05-09-2011, 04:08 AM
It gets disgusting when you see the fish still struggling inside the frogfish.

Well some people get their jollies from watching stuff like that.

Delphinus
05-09-2011, 06:37 AM
:( I suppose, not me though.

Too risky, I won't do it. Beauty of a red though, which is a dream fish for me. Just wish I had a tank ready for him to go into by himself. Well I could, but he'd have to share with the eel, and the eel was something of a dream fish too. .. So, the idea ends there for now. Setting up another tank isn't in the cards, summer's coming! Or so goes the theory anyhow.

lastlight
05-09-2011, 06:59 AM
POST 10! I like frogs!

sphelps
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Previously had a frog fish with a ghost ribbon eel and never had an issue.

fishoholic
05-09-2011, 03:18 PM
:( I suppose, not me though.

Too risky, I won't do it. Beauty of a red though, which is a dream fish for me. Just wish I had a tank ready for him to go into by himself. Well I could, but he'd have to share with the eel, and the eel was something of a dream fish too. .. So, the idea ends there for now. Setting up another tank isn't in the cards, summer's coming! Or so goes the theory anyhow.

Why don't you move the eel to the big tank and put mr froggy in the 65g by himself ?

Delphinus
05-09-2011, 05:52 PM
The thought did occur to me, Laurie, and man alive, trust me, the temptation is strong. :mrgreen: However the whole reason he (the eel) is not in the big tank already is that he will be not be the easiest to feed in there since I (for better or for worse) designed the tank to not have any front access, and the back access, although it isn't too bad once the light rack is moved back, doesn't have any viewing except from the top. It would do very do-able in one sense but not the easiest thing to do either in the other sense and so I'm hesitant to go that way.

I came very close yesterday to moving him over though, and I still have ruled it out 100%. It's a careful decision, if I put him in there and later change my mind about it, it's going to be terrible trying to remove him from there. :neutral:

Decisions, decisions! :lol:

fishoholic
05-09-2011, 07:22 PM
If it helps I always found it fairly easy to feed my eel when I had it in the big tank and he seemed to enjoy the swimming space, however I had full access from the front so he was fairly easy to spot feed.

fishoholic
05-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Just to put some more temptation out there but you could always try the eel and frog togther and see how it goes and if it seems like the frog is trying to go after the eel you could move the eel to the big tank then. :twised:

lastlight
05-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Or knock access openings into the front of the canopy.