PDA

View Full Version : Biopellets Yes or No?

dynamite
05-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Since I'm having high nitrates I was wondering if I should start adding biopellets, I have a 90g tank with a 40g sump, SWC cone skimmer 160, two Clownfish and a Cherub pigmy angel. My nitrates are 35 and my phosphates 0.03 with my hanna metter.
What are your experiences with biopellets? :mrgreen:

Bblinks
05-07-2011, 10:42 PM
I have had good success with pellets. First couple of week I had nothing but problems, algae bloom including cyano. I had some bleaching in my sps during that period also. Just before I took the pellets off line I thought to myself give it one last chance. I upgraded to a 300 gph pump from a 100 gph pump, changed my nextreef mr1 for a smr1 which is dedicated to pellets, and I put a bigger skimmer in on the outlet of the reactor, man o man what a difference. It took a month before everything stablized and both Nitrate and Phosphate zeroed out.

This is my suggestion for anyone who is looking to start pellets. Use the proper reactor to run the pellets so you have good flow through it. Do not take it off line prematurely as everything is this hobby, be patient. Make sure your skimmer have the capcity to skim off as much as the excess bacteria as you can. The reason behind the outlet of the reactor directs to the skimmer is so as the specific bacteria use the pellets as food and during accelerated growth assimilate Nitrate and Phosphate from the water before being removed from the system by skimming or consumption by fish and corals. I found that the consumption by the fish and corals are limited and depends on your bioload a larger skimmer will be far more effecient to get the job done. Lastly as Nitrate and Phosphate diminishes, When one of the element has been depleted, it is impossible to remove the other, in most cases it will be Phosphate that's left over. I run rowa phos just to kill the left over Phosphate and as soon as my hanna tester reads 0.02ppm I change the media.

I hope this helps. good luck.:biggrin: