PDA

View Full Version : Chili Coral

paddyob
05-07-2011, 12:32 AM
Hey all.

One of the LFS has a really nice Chili Coral. I want to get a piece, but I do not know if it will actually survive in a regular reef.

I know they are non-photosynthetic and require feedings, but I do not know how often is actually necessary. I feed my corals at least twice a week now.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edmonton newbie
05-07-2011, 01:23 AM
bob if they are anything like my dendros i feed them acan plus once or twice a week and they seem to get some shrimp whenever i feed the fish all things considered its pretty easy for a great looking coral :rockon:

naesco
05-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Unless you are prepared to set up a special tank to accommodate it's needs pass of the coral.
It is in the same league as dendros which do well for a while and slowly die in reefers tanks.

Dark conditions,a bit cooler water, fussy flow and copies amounts of daily nighttime target feeding might get you some success in a tank to accommodate these requirements.

You probably noticed that reputable LFS don't even bring them in any more.

Thanks for asking before you buy.

Matman
05-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Try the fauna marin dendro system. It is a recipe made for dendronephthya. I'm sure your chili coral could thrive if you feed it everyday with this mix. You need ultra min D, ultra clam and ultra sea fan. They are supposed to be hardier than dendronepthya, but probably more challenging than NPS LPS. The challenging part is find a spot for it that has high current, low light and still nice enough so you can enjoy it and go feed it.

paddyob
05-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Yea. This is what I thought. Probably gonna pass. Too bad. They are a super cool coral.

The Codfather
05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
bob if they are anything like my dendros i feed them acan plus once or twice a week and they seem to get some shrimp whenever i feed the fish all things considered its pretty easy for a great looking coral :rockon:

Sorry to correct, but his name is Patrick.