PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

Rogue951
05-06-2011, 06:06 PM
What can I do without tearing apart my tank? I don't have the tank space or room to do so.

I have 2 emerald crabs which don't seem to touch it. They do go after other algae, and maybe bubbles but I've never actually seen them eat it.
I have an urchin in the sump cause it's gotten too big and is buldozing my tank.
The urchin does seem to eat it, actually it pretty much stripmines my rock but I don't mind, coraline grows back fast enough...

I don't think I overfeed. I feed a couple of pinches frequently during the day but it usually all gets eaten before it gets to the bottom.
Bulbs are good.

Chaeto in my sump, although I think I need more of it...
This stuff just doesn't seem to want to go away.

Photoperiod is only about 8 hours a day. 250watt halide.
mixed reef. corals of all types.

Thanks....

Oh I also run pellets.

PurpleMonkey
05-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Maybe you need a pair of maroon clownfish... and name them after me... Don't know if it would help you but why not

imcosmokramer
05-06-2011, 08:57 PM
not a fun battle, but manual removal, combined with very low nitrates/phosphates will do it.

mark
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Had lobophora and bubble algea (different times) and both got me to the point of panic. This was with 0 nitrates and phosphate, ro/di water, lots of water changes, macro fuge, tangs and a foxface, etc. Glad to say both just sort of disappeared on their own only with some help from manual removal.

Now bryopsis is a different menace, had been serious enough that I really was considering leaving the rock outside on the deck but since found Kent Tech M.

hillegom
05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
had bubble algae too.
+1 on the manual removal, but you have to be persistent. Don't give up
Good luck

doch
05-06-2011, 11:09 PM
I gave up!! I had so much in my 28, I ended up shutting it down, and I'm currently 'cooking' the rock... when I do my upgrade, I'll pull the cooked rock and use it then.

Rogue951
05-07-2011, 01:43 AM
I gave up!! I had so much in my 28, I ended up shutting it down, and I'm currently 'cooking' the rock... when I do my upgrade, I'll pull the cooked rock and use it then.

lol thats not too hopeful for me. whats the best way to get the off the rock? just scrape? and i know im not supposed to pop them.
anyone have a useful tool?

Lance
05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
lol thats not too hopeful for me. whats the best way to get the off the rock? just scrape? and i know im not supposed to pop them.
anyone have a useful tool?

Use some kind of a prying tool to get underneath the bubble and pry it out. I just use a regular table knife.

lastlight
05-07-2011, 02:26 AM
Most of mine can't be popped off. the base is wedge inside a cavity in the rock. That or the bubble is under an overhang or to close to my eurobracing to get to. People always think it's cool when they see it... that somehow makes the crap even worse!