PDA

View Full Version : My fish are just plain DUMB!

globaldesigns
05-06-2011, 05:00 AM
My Solon Fairy Wrasse just went crazy and started going nuts near the surface. This was something new and a first for this fish that I have had for almost 3 years. Anyways it managed to jump and jump over the egg crate barrier I built for my overflows and now is in the overflow that I can't easily get at.

I guess this fish is now a overflow inhabitant, or maybe it will get flush into my sump. Time will tell. I won't be able to get him out any other way.

Damn dumb fish!

lastlight
05-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Solong solon. Until we meet again... down in the sump.

naesco
05-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Solong solon. Until we meet again... down in the sump.

Nope! But it takes patience and can be done.

Shut the pumps off and remove most of the water in the overflow.
Use a small net. And very slooooooooooowly position the net near the fish and use a thin long kitchen knife to kind of push the fish in the net.
You will probably have to form the net to get around the pipes but you CAN do it.
It makes you feel really good when you save it.

lastlight
05-06-2011, 07:21 AM
have someone hold a small mirror up above the overflow to see down there while you work too.

sphelps
05-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Usually I find the easiest thing to do is remove the standpipe and flush the guy into the sump. Have a net waiting in the sump around the overflow pipe.

MMAX
05-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I had the same problems with my orange spot goby and more recently my lawnmower blenny (always thought he was too fat to fit through the egg crate but he suprised me). I shut down my return pump and opened the gate valve to drain most of the water out of my overflow. Raised my lights, stood on a chair and leaning over the tank used 2 nets to trap the little bastards. I kept one net stationary and used the other to chase them in. I got pretty good at it because they didn't learn their lessons after the first time.

fishoholic
05-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Nope! But it takes patience and can be done.

Shut the pumps off and remove most of the water in the overflow.
Use a small net. And very slooooooooooowly position the net near the fish and use a thin long kitchen knife to kind of push the fish in the net.
You will probably have to form the net to get around the pipes but you CAN do it.
It makes you feel really good when you save it.

+1

I have had many fish go into my overflow, I've always been able to fish them out with a small net.

Skimmerking
05-06-2011, 04:15 PM
ya mine is like that too, however i have my overflow box full of mangroves and the roots stop alot of stuff from going in the sump other the n the peppermint shrimp that i have who like the sump area now.

The Grizz
05-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Small hook, bait and some fishing line :lol: Sorry Rick I have to chuckle. This to has happened to me & have found them in the sump as well.

daniella3d
05-07-2011, 02:58 AM
If you think your fish are dumb, you have not seen humans...

This is a good example. How stupid can they get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbfyCo4K54

Small hook, bait and some fishing line :lol: Sorry Rick I have to chuckle. This to has happened to me & have found them in the sump as well.

The Grizz
05-07-2011, 03:55 AM
If you think your fish are dumb, you have not seen humans...

This is a good example. How stupid can they get?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbfyCo4K54

:pound: that is awesome! Total dumbass