PDA

View Full Version : Cheap timers

Nemain
01-15-2004, 02:34 PM
I am in the process of installing my new 250MH ice caps (2) $$. I also hav emy old craptastic lights, one dual pc and a triple fluorescent. I am using the florescent for my cump, the pc with the MH.

I want to set the PC's to go on earlier, and shut off later than the MH's, is there a home depot special that can time three sets of lights, or do I have to get three timers?

Either way, is there one in particular that anyone can suggest?

Thanks,

Beth

BCOrchidGuy
01-15-2004, 03:36 PM
Beth I've not seen anything at Home Depot that would do that but, if you do a search on "X-10" you'll find some interesting information. My understanding is it's a software app for your PC and it's got a transmitter/card with it that sends out signals to recievers that are controlling your power heads, lights etc. So you can use it as a wave maker/light timer/ auto feeder etc etc... Some people on this board have had problems with them though.

Doug

Bob I
01-15-2004, 03:52 PM
I use four timers to control four lights. I have tried inexpensive timers that soon crapped out. I now use only Intermatic Heavy duty timers that cost less than $15.00. I buy them at Ukrainian Tire. There is another heavy duty timer made by Timex which is sold at the same place. It also works very well. :biggrin:

Nemain
01-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Super thank you, i will head down there today and see what they have!

As for software apps, I have a two year old that thinks he is an apprentice electrician :P Everything in my house is turned off at least twice a day, and my PC is one of his favorite toys, it does all sorts of great things when you press the buttons =)

The ony thing keeping him out of my tank electronics is his short arms and a couple of locks :P

tkhawaja
01-15-2004, 06:19 PM
I use four timers to control four lights. . . ... I buy them at Ukrainian Tire.
Same here, I've set up four grounded heavy duty timers and once you get the timing right they work perfectly. Just wanted to list two tips I learned from experience. Out here in Whitecourt, because of tons of new construction going on in our area, we do sometimes have our electricity turned off for a while. It's never been longer than half an hour. Unlikely this situation applies in most other places but the following is useful to know:

- After such a power failure obviously the timers will be off by the time the electricity was gone. Move them forward a few clicks at a time when they are far away from their on/off position to adjust the time until they are back on their schedule. On my timer 1 hour is about 6 - 8 "clicks".

- I don't know why it is but atleast 1 of the timers stopped working when the electricity came back, might be some sort of a failsafe built into the design. I had to unplug the timer from the socket and plug it back in after a few minutes and it worked fine.

BTW the four lights create a nice sunrise / sunset photoperiod (http://www.mywhitecourt.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album09).

StirCrazy
01-16-2004, 12:22 AM
I do not recomend X-10 or cheep timers.

X-10 is natoriously "cheep" and under built, I have had problems with them catching fire as well as others, and even more people have had problems with them breaking down. the Idea is good but the product needs to be inproved.

I only use heavy duity outdoor timers now and I spend the money 24.00ea to get digital ones with batery back up.

Steve

tkhawaja
01-16-2004, 02:19 AM
I only use heavy duity outdoor timers now and I spend the money 24.00ea to get digital ones with batery back up.
I tried the "digital" ones and they were out by 15 minutes every day or so. Which ones are you using and where did you get them?

StirCrazy
01-16-2004, 04:09 AM
walmart and I think they are intermetics

Steve

Nemain
01-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Woo, brain is getting loaded down already.

Ok so what I gather is that I want an outdoor version timer?

I want it to have a batery backup?

I want it to be digital rather than dial?

Probablyhave more questions, but this is all I coudl think of atm =)

Thanks in advance =)

beth

StirCrazy
01-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Woo, brain is getting loaded down already.

Ok so what I gather is that I want an outdoor version timer?

I want it to have a batery backup?

I want it to be digital rather than dial?

Probablyhave more questions, but this is all I coudl think of atm =)

Thanks in advance =)

beth

yes, yes, and yes :mrgreen:

IslandReefer
01-18-2004, 05:03 PM
I believe these are the timers Steve is talking about:
http://www.intermatic.com/?action=prod&pid=213
(BTW he just rips those little doors off. :lol:
Walmart here I come.....
John

BCOrchidGuy
01-18-2004, 05:10 PM
Two of my $15 timers bought it this week, I guess I'll be buying a couple of those as well.

Doug

StirCrazy
01-18-2004, 05:30 PM
yup thoes are them

Steve

Nemain
01-19-2004, 09:48 PM
OK, why not a heavy duty indoor timer?

I was looking at them, and there are some timers that have multiple plug ins that run more than one set of lights, is this a problem? I have 4 seperate sets of lights, all of which are going to be put on timers.

Thanx again =)

Beth

Nemain
01-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Installed the intermatic timers last night, they are a wreck - it - yourselfer 's dream. Only took me 10 minutes!! They are small, work super, and I dont have to play around with cords anymore!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your help =)

Beth