PDA

View Full Version : What to do about Aiptasia

Blue Ram
05-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Looking for the best and most effective option of killing these nasty things. I took down my first reef tank several years ago because I unknowingly purchased a lot of live rock infested with aiptasia and was not able to deal with it effectively in a small tank (34 gal Red Sea). I am now seeing aiptasia start to develop in my new tank. Is there an environment that aiptasia thrive in or start to overpopulate?
I suspect purchasing peppermint shrimp will be a waste of $$ because I have a flame hawkfish.
Anything else I could consider using? Has anyone had good results with using Red Sea's Aiptasia X?

The Grizz
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Matted filefish and a zapper was the answer for me.

AquaticFinatic
05-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi. Plenty of discussions if you do a search on it as it was only recently discussed so good luck. I used a BBQ ligther taking each piece out and making not of where they are.

Blue Ram
05-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Matted filefish and a zapper was the answer for me.

Some research I did indicated that they will start to nip at your coral?

FaRico
05-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey Grizz.

Where'd you find the zapper?

cordeiro
05-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Lemon juice and a syringe, worked good for me but don't do to much at once tho..

goldie
05-06-2011, 12:58 AM
joe's juice worked really well for me!

The Grizz
05-06-2011, 02:50 AM
Some research I did indicated that they will start to nip at your coral?

Have not had the issues, if you rid yourself of the aiptasia sell the filefish or bring in other rocks with it to keep it feed.

Hey Grizz.

Where'd you find the zapper?

Oceanic Corals

dreef
05-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Filefish..their awesome !!

monocus
05-06-2011, 05:43 AM
lots of different options.i usually used berghia-but that takes time-bonus is that you can sell the offspring.lemonjuice in a syringe.kalkwasser mix-but after picking up the berghia book-do it in the morning so you don't get alot of baby aptasia spreading.right now my banner fish love to eat them