PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of M80 (HQI) over M138 (Pulse)?

apepper
01-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Is the main advantage of the M80 (HQI) ballast over the M138 (pulse start) ballast, the higher PAR output you get with the M80? Based on the tests done by Joe Burger (http://www.cnidarianreef.com) the current draw for the M80 is higher than with the standard PFO ballast (is this a pulse start ballast), hence the higher output I assume. So if I don't need the extra PAR (I have a small tank...I know I know) then should I just stick with the M138 with lower power consumption and lower initial cost?

Are there any other advantages of the HQI ballast over a pulse start ballast for standard SE 250W bulbs (eg. Sun10K), such as longevity, reliability? Does the higher output introduce a color shift?

Alex

StirCrazy
01-15-2004, 01:13 PM
Is the main advantage of the M80 (HQI) ballast over the M138 (pulse start) ballast, the higher PAR output you get with the M80? Based on the tests done by Joe Burger (http://www.cnidarianreef.com) the current draw for the M80 is higher than with the standard PFO ballast (is this a pulse start ballast), hence the higher output I assume. So if I don't need the extra PAR (I have a small tank...I know I know) then should I just stick with the M138 with lower power consumption and lower initial cost?

Are there any other advantages of the HQI ballast over a pulse start ballast for standard SE 250W bulbs (eg. Sun10K), such as longevity, reliability? Does the higher output introduce a color shift?

Alex

the extra 40 watts will not be noticable on you power bill, it is like running a small power head. as for advantages over the pulse start they are few but the M80 drives the bulbs better. the pulse start also isnt tested in that test. so yes there should be a little bit better longevity.

the commen misconception is that the bulb is being overdriven to produce the higher output, it isn't the current and voltage are applied differently to produce conditions more tipical to europ where the bulbe were designed.

Steve