PDA

View Full Version : DI resin expired already?

NastayNatron
05-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Hey I am just wondering how often everyone in calgary has to change there DI resin. I have just changed mine less then a month ago and it apprears to be expired already? Going in is .01ppm and out is .01ppm. How can this be? Is it because its spring and the water is harder on DI? Or maybe a bad DI to begin with. . . Any ideas? Also is it alright to put .01 or .02ppm water into the tank or best to change it immediately? Thanks

hillegom
05-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Maybe you have to calibrate your tds meter?
.01 ppm is one hundredth of one part per million. Nothing to worry about.

spawn
05-03-2011, 11:52 PM
I just had to change mine after only 3 months. I think it went faster the second go around because when I ordered the kit I think I asked for a 5 micron instead of a 1 micron pre filter, also I don't know if I packed the DI resin in enough on the 1st change cause it started to discolor at the chamber entrance only after 15 gal. So I packed the 2nd change with more & used a 1 micron replacement it seems to still be original color/blue after the 1st 25 gal.

NastayNatron
05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
Alright sorry it is actually 1 ppm not 0.01ppm. And as for calibrating it . . its an inline HM Digital TDS metre and there is no way I know of calibrating it. The metre is only about 3 months old and has always worked. . . hmm

hillegom
05-04-2011, 02:24 AM
Is it a dual inline tds? They can be calibrated, but it comes calibrated from the factory and 3 months is not a long time. Unless of course, it was bounced around during shipping.
Maybe the LFS would check it where you bought it with their water.
But even 1 ppm is not very much. Some people are using tap water without any trouble
(not that I would recommend this though)

If you have a dual tds, what is the tds of the incoming water?
What is the tds of the exiting water from the membrane, before the DI?

mark
05-04-2011, 03:24 AM
all depends on the post RO measurements to how hard the DI needs to work.

TDS last time I measured in Edm was out of the tap at 168, 007 after my membrane and still get more than 6 months out of my DI resin. This is at about 2g a day plus water changes.

NastayNatron
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Its leaving my membrane at between 1 and 2 ppm. Im starting to think maybe I got a bad DI replacement cartridge. . . Its a coralife R/o Unit