PDA

View Full Version : Help with Brain Coral

windcoast reefs
05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
So I got back from being away for the weekend and I noticed that my protein skimmer leak some skimmate into my tank! I did a really fast water change and everything seemed to be looking fine until I saw my brain coral. It is showing its skeleton in the center and is releasing white goop. I have seen this on some of my corals that I have had shipped in and they seem to be fine after a month or 2. Is this the case with brain corals or is it dead?

fishytime
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
I wouldnt think that a skimmer leaking skimate back into the tank would be all that bad for anything in the tank......after all if it wasnt being skimmed out then it would still be in the water column......not sure why it is showin its skeleton tho......

zum14
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Any pics? I had one do something that sounds similar, mine had the mouth eaten out of it by a rouge filefish.

windcoast reefs
05-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't have my camera with me, but I will try and get some pics up tomorrow. The only thing that I have yet to really look at was that I did have a slight salinity shift (1.025 to 1.023). But other than that all my levels are fine and I have never seen any fish going at the brain or any other coral before.

paddyob
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Might just have a coral that is unhappy.

Lighting (maybe it gets too much OR to little.)

Flow as well. Same as above.