PDA

View Full Version : % salt versus SG

rossb
01-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Does anyone have know the relationship between percent salt and specific gravity? I have been searching for a scale of sorts, without any luck. I am trying to do a salt water dip on my goldfish and the literature all talks about percent salt solutions.

thanks...ross

Bob I
01-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Does anyone have know the relationship between percent salt and specific gravity? I have been searching for a scale of sorts, without any luck. I am trying to do a salt water dip on my goldfish and the literature all talks about percent salt solutions.

thanks...ross

My scale also reads in PPT. therefore 1.016 equals 22PPT ; 1.023 =31PPT. Hope that helps. :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2004, 05:16 PM
for a gold fish dip (I don't know squat about gold fish other than they are fresh water) I'd not use marine salt. Marine salt buffers the pH at 8.3, when doing a propholactic salt dip you still want the water to be the same pH as the water the fish came out of.

Doug

Namscam
01-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Well all I know is that the ppt of natural salt water off Bamfield which is located on the western side of vancouver island is about 35 ppt which means for every liter of water there is 35 grams of salt

Bob I
01-14-2004, 05:30 PM
Well all I know is that the ppt of natural salt water off Bamfield which is located on the western side of vancouver island is about 35 ppt which means for every liter of water there is 35 grams of salt

Easy to convert to percentage. :biggrin:

rossb
01-14-2004, 07:18 PM
BCOrchidGuy wrote:

Marine salt buffers the pH at 8.3

Oh good point. Would it be safe to assume that the salt that the aquarium shops sell is the correct form of salt , ie not buffered? Could one use iodized salt?

BTW gold fish are a vastly underated fish. They continually do thing that impress me, and sometimes they just blow me away. They are still my favorites.

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2004, 07:21 PM
The salt you buy at the aquarium store that is for freshwater fish is just a coarse salt, you can buy it at the supermarket as pickling salt or coarse salt for much less money.

Doug