PDA

View Full Version : New fish not eating!

ruck'n'reefer
06-12-2002, 03:56 PM
I got a second true perc this weekend. It still hasn't eaten. I have tried frozen brine, freeze-dried pacific plankton and blood worms. I am going out to get fresh shrimp and mussels, to see if he'll take those.

Any other suggestions!

Troy F
06-12-2002, 06:02 PM
He may just be getting used to his new surroundings Rob and it's not like he can't find a meal in your established system so he may be eating. Is he wild caught?

My system is up and running, I still have to set up the Ca reactor and aquascape. I may have pictures tonight.

ruck'n'reefer
06-12-2002, 06:25 PM
I am thinking know that it is wild caught!! I did not ask. :( I'd love to see your pics! Maybe I can get someone to take a few of mine one day. :D :D

Doug
06-12-2002, 08:18 PM
When I bought my young pair of orange skunks, they would not eat either.

Someone mentioned about soaking flakes first. I went a little further. Mixed a couple different flakes, some frozen brine, algae from the tank, mushed up Hakari Marine "A" pellets, water, selcon and vita-chem. All are not needed, thats just what I used.

Minced it all in the wife,s blender, :eek: , kept some out to feed and froze the rest in a flat tray. They ate it as soon as it hit the water and over time switched to normal foods. I still use the mixture, at times, to feed corals,sandbed and anyone wanting it.

Anywho, the general idea is to make it small and soaked first, in what ever is used. You could even try with the above mentioned flakes. Very good by the way.

terryp01
06-12-2002, 10:59 PM
Is the other clown picking on him? Do you have an anemone? Sometimes the natural instict to feed the anemone will prevail and the fish will start eating.

I also agree with the flake food. Percs can be very difficult to get to eat, especially if wild caught. (IME).

Axial Corillite
06-13-2002, 12:33 AM
I've gotten dozens of finicky eaters and "no eaters" to eat by soaking their food in garlic oil. Don't buy garlic extreme; it's a ripoff. You can get garlic oil from the helath food store
for a quarter of the price. Fish go crazy over it and its great for their immune system.

Troy F
06-13-2002, 04:36 AM
OSI flake is an apparently very tasty meal. Was he eating before you added him? How long has he been in?

ruck'n'reefer
06-13-2002, 04:56 AM
I have only had him 4 days. I don't know if he was eating. He isn't skinny though. He looks at the brine shrimp, but won't eat it.
I will try the OSI flake.
Thanx
Troy
PS how goes the tank?

naesco
06-14-2002, 01:30 AM
I have had the same good luck with garlic extract from a health food store.