PDA

View Full Version : Safe for Shrimp?

Blue Ram
04-29-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd like to add some ornamental shrimp to my 120 gal reef tank. Currently do not have any in the tank. Would any shrimp be safe with a flame hawkfish, flame angel and accessor?

Leah
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
I would go with Cleaner Shrimp or Peppermint Shrimp. I would stay away from Coral Banded Shrimp personally. :biggrin:

George
04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
LOL, no shrimp is safe with a flame hawkfish. You can take your chance if the hawkfish is small and the shrimp is large.

I'd like to add some ornamental shrimp to my 120 gal reef tank. Currently do not have any in the tank. Would any shrimp be safe with a flame hawkfish, flame angel and accessor?

Lance
04-29-2011, 10:08 PM
LOL, no shrimp is safe with a flame hawkfish. You can take your chance if the hawkfish is small and the shrimp is large.

+1 And Hawkfish have surprisingly large mouths.

Leah
04-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Sorry missed the Hawkfish...my bad. :redface:

Blue Ram
04-29-2011, 10:19 PM
That's what I thought! Too bad but I do love the hawkfish.

ALang
04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I have two cleaner shrimps in my tank with a Flame Hawk.
They have been together since January, but the shrimps where there first, and they are fairly large. The Flame was added later at about 1-1/2" long.
Don't know about long-term, though, but my friend has Flame Hawk in her tank for years with all sorts of shrimps and she reported no problems.
Good luck, Lenny.

fishytime
04-29-2011, 11:19 PM
I have a cleaner, a fire and possibly some peppermint(never see them) with a flame hawk and a mystery wrasse......shrimp first, fish second, if you havnt already added the hawk.......or if you have the hawk make sure the shrimp are BIG.....even then it will be a roll of the dice:wink:

toytech
04-30-2011, 09:30 PM
My falco hawk killed a coral banded shrimp that was 2x his size , he just waited for him to molt then shredded him . The shrimp was in the tank first and it took the hawk 2 months but he finally got him.