PDA

View Full Version : Does any run undergravels and dsb's together

little reef
01-14-2004, 05:18 AM
So does anyone run reef ,dsb's and undergravel together like half and half. I am trying it with my fowlr in my 66gal , but i would like to try putting some frags from my nano tank.dave

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Dave, common consensus is DSB are not as benneficial as people used to think, and a UG filter would ruin the DSB bennefits anyway

Doug

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Sorry I got a double post for some reason

Doug

apepper
01-14-2004, 05:36 AM
There is a really interesting thread on RC about a 30 year old reef tank with a UGF.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=284686

It is certainly not your typical tank and probably not recommended for most people. ;)

Alex

Chad
01-14-2004, 05:43 AM
I read that.. amazing... definitely one of those unqiue setups. Not sure if I would try it myself. I like the 2" sand bed personaly. I have 4 - 3" throughout my tank right now but is it crushed coral I believe.

StirCrazy
01-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Dave, common consensus is DSB are not as benneficial as people used to think, and a UG filter would ruin the DSB bennefits anyway

Doug

DSB are benificial, just the desiriable depth is in question. the small grain size is still easyer on critters, keeps detrus on top where other cleaners can get at it, breaks down nitrates, provides more varied life in the tank, and just looks good :mrgreen:

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2004, 05:10 PM
Yes good point Steve, it's the depth that's really the debate. Marine aquarium magazine has a huge article on sand beds and it can be summed up like this.

Sand beds of 1.5-2 inches deep provide as much de nitrification as a sand bed of 4 inches and deeper. The reason if I understood the article was, as long as you use a porous sand IE aragonite or coral (eeek) you get the anoxic regions with in each particle of sand. I'll try to find the article and post some of the highlights.

Doug

little reef
01-15-2004, 04:00 AM
Doug , I am not doing the whole tank with ug,but only one half with sorta crushed coral dead frags about
2-3 inches. The rest of the tank with 1-6inch( Depth)suger sized sand. And i have about 120pounds of live
rock. I have read a lot about the pro and cons of
Dsb, ssb,lr,and ug.i just tring a little of it all.

A couple of things i have noticed is a huge critter population and all my levels have been the
norm. But time will tell.

Who knows what is the perfect setup.A new fad keeps changes(it seems weekly).The
fish and reef stores sure love them :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

BCOrchidGuy
01-15-2004, 04:04 AM
Oh yes, things change, fads come and go, especially if you follow Dr Ron the fickle.

Doug

little reef
01-15-2004, 04:41 AM
Yeaaaa, that Thread was awsome. thanks apepper.

I 'm not sure about using ashpalt for rock.But the idea of using creatures from local waters is not bad, but is his tank a cold water setup or equator temp setup,or a bit of both ? dave