PDA

View Full Version : Lettuce Nudibranch

hunggi74
04-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Hi! Anyone know where I can order online that will ship to Vancouver, BC? I can't seem to find a Canadian supplier anywhere and all the LFS around here do not have any in stock and don't know when they'll get more in. Need it to try to fight a Bryopsis outbreak. Tried a 10 day blackout with no effect and am starting Magnesium dosing now.

whatcaneyedo
04-28-2011, 12:14 AM
If you're lucky the most that Elysia crispata will do in a bryopsis infested tank is sustain itself. What will more than likely happen is it will simply disappear after a few days never to be seen again. Aplysia sp. will do a far better job at actually consuming and ridding your tank of bryopsis until it dies when the food runs out or is sucked into a powerhead.

In my opinion you'll manage much better in the long run if you treat the source rather than the problem. Starve the bryopsis of phosphate by straining frozen food of its packing fluid before feeding, run GFO, grow macro algae, upgrade you skimmer etc... Those in conjunction with boosting Magnesium with Kent Tech M were what worked for me.

EDIT: Part of the reason why they're maybe a little hard to find is some LFS no longer like to stock them. At Ocean Aquatics they only bring them in for special requests because they've had such a poor track record with them. At least thats what they told me. However they're pretty common on availability lists so I'm sure almost any store can get them in for you if you don't mind waiting until their next order. Just don't expect it to solve your problem.