PDA

View Full Version : should I have glass between my light and tank

dyereefer
01-14-2004, 04:14 AM
I have tempered glass between my lights and the surface of the water does this diminish my lighting in any way

BCOrchidGuy
01-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Yes, I don't use glass, most others don't either

Doug

Quinn
01-14-2004, 04:48 AM
It may also prohibit evaporation which may in turn increase your tank's temperature.

Don E
01-14-2004, 12:56 PM
I use glass just because I'm worried about salt creep up into the lighting equipment as I keep my lights very close to the water. Temp control hasn't been a problem for me but I don't use MH's.

The glass is a pain to keep clean, it's true, but a wipe-down with vinegar once a week keeps it clear.

Don

Old Guy
01-14-2004, 05:30 PM
On my reef there is no glass but on mt FOWLR I have glass. I got tired on my fish carpet surfing along time ago.

Bob I
01-15-2004, 04:01 PM
I think whether one uses glass covers or not is a very personal thing. I always use glass covers, and don't care what anyone says. But then I don't give a rat's a** what anyone says about anything I do. :mrgreen: :biggrin: :eek:

TANGOMAN
01-15-2004, 08:16 PM
I used to have glass covers, in addition to the canopy. As Teevee mentioned, it can pose a problem with heat and it is pain to keep clean. My main reason however for removing the glass is simply because Bob uses it and even though it may work for him with the conditions here in Calgary, I felt it would be best if the glass was removed... :lol: