PDA

View Full Version : R/O unit auto shut off

asylumdown
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
The tank that's going in to the new house is going to have an R/O reservoir in the utility room in the basement, but the R/O unit needs to be in the cabinet below the tank about 15 feet total distance away. I want the R/O unit to shut down completely (no more waste water) when the RO storage unit is full, but I'm having a hard time finding a unit that I know will be able to do that remotely.

The only one I know of is the Spectrapure units, but I don't want to spend 900 bucks on an R/O system. The one I've been looking at instead is the Vertex Puratek, but I can't for the life of me figure out how I would go about shutting that unit off remotely (if such a thing is possible) via a float valve or something, and what sort of wiring/plumbing I'll need to put in to the floor before things get closed up with drywall.

Anyone have suggestions?

Madreefer
04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
I use a Vertex Puratek and this is what I use when my 60G resevoir is full. It has never let me down.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=ro-kpfvalve

asylumdown
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
how is it wired to your R/O unit/over what distance? Does it shut off the vertex unit completely? is it something I can put the wires in for now, or will it need to be installed at the same time as the R/O unit (which is months and months away from being ready, but the walls are about to be closed in with drywall)

asylumdown
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
sorry I think that sounded ignorant. does it just sit inside the output tubing from the RO unit? I have no idea how these things work.

abcha0s
04-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I think you're over complicating this. Most ro units will shut off when a certain pressure on the clean water output is reached. Those that don't have the pressure activated solenoid built in can generally be retrofitted. In any event, I'm pretty sure the Vertex will shut off automatically once the resevoir is full.

You do need the float valve. Even if you use electronic sensors to shut off the ro unit, I would still use the float valve.

asylumdown
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks,

I think this makes it significantly less complicated than I thought it would have to be. So really, all I need is the 1/4 inch hosing line from the R/O unit to the reservoir run through the floor. No extra wires or hoses are really required.

Madreefer
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
With the Vertex the outfeed line goes in to this float valve. When the float valve raises it shuts off the water (filtered water and waste water). The unit than shuts down. It is a really simple system and requires no power. I did put another seperate line a few inches above this float valve in case of a failure but as I said this float valve has not let me down. The line to my resevoir is about 4ft from the unit. I hope I explained this good enough. I guess what i'm saying is the Vertex has a built in auto shut off should the outfeed of filtered water be blocked.

abcha0s
04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Thanks,

I think this makes it significantly less complicated than I thought it would have to be. So really, all I need is the 1/4 inch hosing line from the R/O unit to the reservoir run through the floor. No extra wires or hoses are really required.

Yes. That is correct. I run mine 30-40 feet through the ceiling, so I wouldn't worry about distance.

Madreefer
04-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Haha man i'm a slow typer and no it did'nt sound ignorant.

asylumdown
04-27-2011, 12:31 AM
thanks, I have spent more than one night tossing and turning thinking about all the things that can go wrong/need to happen to make this tank a reality. Thankfully, I've spent more nights tossing and turning thinking about what I'm going to put in to it.

My only other question would be how do you put a second 'emergency' line in? I would like to do something similar, but do you have it plumbed on a totally separate hose, or does your main feeder line to the reservoir split?

Madreefer
04-27-2011, 01:57 AM
[

My only other question would be how do you put a second 'emergency' line in? I would like to do something similar, but do you have it plumbed on a totally separate hose, or does your main feeder line to the reservoir split?[/QUOTE]

I just have a hole drilled in my resevoir a few inches above the float valve with a hose that will drain in to my floor drain in case the float valve fails. It is not necessary and not attached to the feed line. Just a precaution I took.

mark
04-27-2011, 02:27 AM
been using a furnace humidifer float valve from HD for about 5 years off my aquasafe rodi unit with zero problems. Also as Madreefer, just have a bulkhead then tubing running to the floor drain as an emergency, bulkhead is above the high level mark in the reservoir.

Over the years have had to clean and replaced the auto shutoff valve and one-way check valve (rodi unit will stop outputting clean water but still produces waste) so have the waste line that when I go into the fish room can hear it trickling into the floor drain. Idea is I'll notice if it seems to be running continuous.