PDA

View Full Version : Tiger tail cucumber question?

cvrle1
09-29-2001, 03:03 AM
Hello all.

Quick question for you. I got a tiger tail cucumber in my tank and was wondering what to feed him with. I know that they eat stuff from your sandbed but I'm sure that there is some food that it can be fed.

Thanks for the help.

Troy F
09-29-2001, 08:39 AM
As long as your sand bed has a large enough surface area he will be fine. They eat the bacterial and algal film on the sand particles. Even if you wanted to feed them I'm not sure you could.

On a side note; the funny thing about cukes is that no matter how beautiful your tank is everytime you show your tank to a friend or family member (that isn't in the hobby) it will be the first thing they point to and say, "what is that?".

canadawest
09-30-2001, 12:11 AM
I've got two tiger-tail cukes in my tank, and I don't feed them anything. They happily snack on the sand all night long, eating whatever detritus, bacteria, algae, etc they find.

Great addition to the clean-up crew, just don't expect to see much of it during the day.

cvrle1
09-30-2001, 02:17 AM
That's exactly what I saw of him Andrew, nothing. Ever since I bought him he was in one same spot not moving at all. 1 day I thought that he was dead so I went in there and moved the rock where he was hiding under and put him in other pasrt of aquarium. Low and behold, he was alive. 1/2 hour later stupid thing is back to sameplace and it's still here as we speak not moving at all.

Is this normal or not??

[ 29 September 2001: Message edited by: cvrle1 ]

canadawest
09-30-2001, 01:47 PM
Like I mentioned, they are not too active during the day. If there is light in the tank, they'll just hang out under the rocks.

It'll get to know the tank after a few nights of cruisin around. Peek in your tank about 30 mins after lights out, or in the morning before the lights come on. You'll find him out and about.

But leave it be for a couple days, it's getting used to it's new home.