PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor Kaput

amoreira
04-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Heres the thing:

I went away on a little vacation to Cozumel (yes, it was nice) and left my aquarium to be cared for by relatives that came in every so once in a while and scraped the algae. Sure enough, I get back and test a few parameters only to find my alk at very low levels (~ 5 dkH). While I was away, for some reason, the circulation pump in the calcium reactor had burned out.

This Ca reactor is a PM (Precision Marine) one with the odd feature that the pump is literally glued into a base attached to the reactor. Getting it out is next to impossible. So I managed to pry it off with a screwdriver and in the process I break some of the fittings. Then I had to run around town trying to find a pump like it (Ehiem 1048). I go to 5 stores - all don't stock this pump. I finally go to Pisces and find an Ehiem 1250 (next size up). Now I have to find the PVC elbows and tees etc. some in 1/2" and some in 3/8". Since none of the hardware stores stock 3/8" fittings, I make most of it 1/2", except I still need a reducing bushing to take 1/2" to 3/8". No such animal found. I manage to find one that had a 3/8" threaded and 1/2" female tube type fitting. After 3 visits to the hardware store I finally manage to put together something that worked (not pretty!).

I did try to find an in-stock calcium reactor, but nobody carried the brand I wanted (Vertex). You have to order that one on-line. All the good stuff is only available on-line. Wai's carries the Schuran Jetstream model, which is overpriced and no better than the competition.

Anyways, I got it back together working after wrestling with a few leaks (heavy application of PVC glue fixed that). Lesson learned is that you should keep a spare calcium reactor around.

All my corals etc. look healthy. I did lose one acro crab. I'm not sure if the water parameters had anything to do with its death. I'm sure I couldn't run at an alk of 6 dkH very long.

whatcaneyedo
04-25-2011, 02:53 AM
A second calcium reactor? That sounds pretty expensive. Why not just keep a second pump? I think I've got 5 that I'm not using ATM... At least you were able to find something. Here in PG the only pumps that are available for sale are Laguna and Danner Mag Drives.

amoreira
04-25-2011, 04:14 AM
Yeah, $100 spare pump would make a lot more sense and $. It just p-eed me off that the PM reactor would cement the pump in making it very difficult to replace. Makes me think that this was by design in hopes of getting more business. Anyways, this reactor is getting long on tooth and I like the Vertex design. I was thinking of getting one of those and keeping the old one as a back-up.

whatcaneyedo
04-25-2011, 04:38 AM
My old PM 422 Ca Reactor didn't have the pump cemented down so maybe they didn't use to do it. The pump would slide off of its base and only the base was cemented to the base of the reactor. I now run a used PM 622 but I'm not sure about it as I haven't needed to dismantle it yet. However you do have me a little paranoid now so maybe I'll try it and see what happens.

RuGlu6
04-25-2011, 05:18 AM
Heres the thing:

I went away on a little vacation to Cozumel (yes, it was nice) and left my aquarium to be cared for by relatives that came in every so once in a while and scraped the algae. Sure enough, I get back and test a few parameters only to find my alk at very low levels (~ 5 dkH). While I was away, for some reason, the circulation pump in the calcium reactor had burned out.

This Ca reactor is a PM (Precision Marine) one with the odd feature that the pump is literally glued into a base attached to the reactor. Getting it out is next to impossible. So I managed to pry it off with a screwdriver and in the process I break some of the fittings. Then I had to run around town trying to find a pump like it (Ehiem 1048). I go to 5 stores - all don't stock this pump. I finally go to Pisces and find an Ehiem 1250 (next size up). Now I have to find the PVC elbows and tees etc. some in 1/2" and some in 3/8". Since none of the hardware stores stock 3/8" fittings, I make most of it 1/2", except I still need a reducing bushing to take 1/2" to 3/8". No such animal found. I manage to find one that had a 3/8" threaded and 1/2" female tube type fitting. After 3 visits to the hardware store I finally manage to put together something that worked (not pretty!).

I did try to find an in-stock calcium reactor, but nobody carried the brand I wanted (Vertex). You have to order that one on-line. All the good stuff is only available on-line. Wai's carries the Schuran Jetstream model, which is overpriced and no better than the competition.

Anyways, I got it back together working after wrestling with a few leaks (heavy application of PVC glue fixed that). Lesson learned is that you should keep a spare calcium reactor around.

All my corals etc. look healthy. I did lose one acro crab. I'm not sure if the water parameters had anything to do with its death. I'm sure I couldn't run at an alk of 6 dkH very long.

Protecting pump intake with strainer and a sponge is always a good idea.
See example below.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=74827&highlight=reactor

whatcaneyedo
04-25-2011, 05:20 AM
I just tried it out. There are two little clips at the bottom of the pump that slide it off of its base on the PM 622. At first I thought it was glued until I discovered those. Did you try that as well or is yours truely glued to its base and then glued to the acrylic base of the reactor?